Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New from NorCal with a recent free gas grill in need of restoration

TVWBB All-Star
    Ranch Kettle x 2, MiniRanch Gen2 Performer , SS Performer , OTG , OTS, Red MBH, JJ, SJS, Summit 650, Genesis Silver C , Genesis Gold C

TVWBB Member
    Thanks. I saw these, but haven't gone to view them. I will have all the parts Friday, and hope to assemble over the weekend. I figure I can get grilling and swap frames later. I imagine I'll have to view a few grills to find one with a top condition frame.

Thanks
    (Genesis 1200 Platinum Series - Green, to be sold once the 1000 is restored) (Genesis 1000 RedHead 1991 with smoker and rotisserie conversion): WANTED

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Savarese View Post
    1996 bottle swapped for a 2005 bottle that I think has been re-certified?

Interesting that it's also had a respray it seems too.

Not exactly a ''new'' bottle, but an empty 20 year old bottle with the old knob on it was turned into a full 11 year old bottle with the current style valve.

This is the re-cert I guess? Done in 2015? Or is this something different? The bottle, if it is an 05, doesnt have to get tested until next year ..
    Summary:

The grill is done and working. I cleaned the sides/firebox as best I could with simple green, brushes and then I followed some advice on here and de-greased with brake cleaner before paining. It's flaking already, and some of the heavily corroded areas look a bit bad. I'm really not worried though, as the grill works perfectly fine and will last me a while. It's got RCPlaner grates and bars. The bars are stupidly heavy. After seeing them, I could have gone cheaper on the bars, but it's done now.

As for a donor for a better frame, one listed earlier is down to $39, a 3 burner with a red lid. Another has popped up though, which has the extra burner and two bottles (empty).

$79 with two bottles.

$39, no bottle and missing a grate

I'll see how I feel about going and getting this grill, it may have already sold. The extra $40 gets me two bottles (taking me to four) and a grill that is more complete + the bigger cart. I'm assuming that I can remove the side burner, plug the manifold hole and create some working space there with a side tray ... maybe even put another folding tray off there. The plan would be to take my time and make one nicer grill, and put all the lesser parts together to have one to sell with one of the bottles etc (as I do not want to have to store two gas grills that are functionally the same).

Thoughts? Crimson $79 one a Genesis 2000?

Lessons Learnt:

-I didn't appreciate that the cost of a BlueRhino/Amerigas swap-a-bottle varies from outlet to outlet. I went to Home Depot, it was $22 (+tax I think). Walmart have them too, and are $15. Exact same thing. My 2006 bottle will go to Walmart to be swapped once it's out. My 2013 will be refilled at the local gas station or u-haul.
    -Razor blade scraper is the way to go for the underside of the lid. The only reason I didn't clean it perfectly, is because I wasted two hours with plastic scrapers and putty knives before moving to the razor blade. By that point I just wanted it done.
    -A water blaster/pressure washer would have helped with initial clean up, and ideally one with heat, i.e. a steam cleaner one. Maybe next time I'd go to a car wash and put some coins in.
    -Wire wheels on a grinder are awesome for the inside of the fire box. I just didn't care about getting it perfect. I just wanted it to work now.

Thanks all,
    (Genesis 1200 Platinum Series - Green, to be sold once the 1000 is restored) (Genesis 1000 RedHead 1991 with smoker and rotisserie conversion): WANTED

TVWBB Fan
    Did you ever wind up with a donor frame?? IF you did or do I might be in the market for either of those hoods and live near you relatively. Good luck

That frame doesn't look all that bad to me. Just hit the inside of that left crossmember the box bolts onto with some rust converter and roll with it.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggie G View Post
    Did you ever wind up with a donor frame?? IF you did or do I might be in the market for either of those hoods and live near you relatively. Good luck
    A busy week last week, so I missed out on the crimson 2000(?) grill. It definitely seemed like the better deal of the two options in my price range. I'm chasing up the red one now, but it's been advertised for so long, I'm not sure how much luck I'll have. Having some time to think about it, my longterm goal is the wider grill (2000 series and up?) with two fold out tables etc, and not a 1000 series grill. So unless a 1000 series donor is cheap/free, I'm happy enough to wait out another 2000 and be ready to snatch it up.

As for a spare lid, I will keep you posted, but my plan if I do get the red one, would still be to fit all the left over parts to make one workable grill to sell, and keeping the best parts to make a grill to last me a couple of decades.

Thanks.

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Dorsey View Post
    That frame doesn't look all that bad to me. Just hit the inside of that left crossmember the box bolts onto with some rust converter and roll with it.
    The rust on that left hand side is a section about 5 inches long and half the section is gone. As well as looking for a donor grill with a better frame (and I agree, my grill will last five years before I have to sort this if needed), I'm going to look for a piece of the RHS to just replace the whole section. By that time, my welding should have improved to passable

Thanks everyone though, off to buy some chicken to grill for tonight, it's meant to be nearly 80F later this afternoon, so really glad the grill is working.

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggie G View Post
    The $39 one is still there, probably collect it Monday. If it goes over the weekend, then I'm not worried, as there's a $50 one a little more out of the way from me which is in better condition and includes a bottle. I'll update next week if I get it and have spare parts.

Thanks

I wonder if the Silver B and C frames would be compatible? Those other 2 grills look good enough to restore on their own! Your's is looking pretty damn good though. Nice work on it so far!
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Dorsey View Post
    I wonder if the Silver B and C frames would be compatible? Those other 2 grills look good enough to restore on their own! Your's is looking pretty damn good though. Nice work on it so far!
    I ll likely know more here in about a month I am looking at putting one of my 13 bar boxes in a newer frame or vise verse

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast