Throwdown #37: Meat and Three

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations to Cliff Bartlett for another win for his Sirloins with Sautéed Cremini Mushrooms in Throwdown #36: Sirloin Steak.

It's now time to reveal our next Throwdown topic:

Meat and Three

If you're from the South, you already know what meat and three is. Otherwise, here's how Wikipedia defines it:

A meat and three restaurant is a restaurant in which the customer picks one meat from a daily selection of choices (such as fried chicken, country ham, beef, country-fried steak, meatloaf, or pork chop) and three side dishes from a list that may include up to a dozen other options (usually vegetables, potatoes, corn, green or lima beans, but also other selections such as gelatin, creamed corn, macaroni and cheese, and spaghetti).

A meat-and-three meal is often served with cornbread and sweet tea.

So for this throwdown, we want you to show us your best "meat and three" meal consisting of one grilled or smoked meat of any kind plus three side dishes of any kind.

The side dishes do not have to be grilled or smoked, but you're encouraged to do so if it makes sense. Cornbread/bread, beverages and dessert are not considered side dishes and are not required, but we'd love to see them if you've got them.

Let's run this throwdown until Sunday, November 13 at 11:59pm Pacific Time.

Good luck everyone!

P.S. Remember, don't be intimidated! This isn't a barbecue competition, it's just for fun and friendship! Try it, you'll like it! And make sure to see the simple throwdown rules.

P.S.S. Remember, only 10 photos for each entry! Photo collages (multiple photos grouped into a single file) are OK, but each photo in the collage counts towards the 10 photo limit.

For the purposes of this throwdown, cornbread, bread, rolls, biscuits, dessert and beverages are not included in the "three" of "meat and three".

Here's an example of "meat and three" sides from Puckett's Grocery & Restaurant in Nashville:

• House Salad
  • House Caesar
  • Baked Beans
  • Onion Rings
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Squash Casserole
  • French Fries
  • Smashed Sweet Potatoes
  • Turnip Greens
  • Steamed Vegetables
  • Sweet Potato Fries
  • Green Beans
  • Vegetable of the Day
  • Cole Slaw
  • Potato Salad
  • Mac & Cheese

Here are the sides at Picadilly, a popular Southern "meat and three" cafeteria restaurant chain:

• Buttered Steamed Cabbage
  • Boiled New Potatoes
  • Candied Yams
  • Corn
  • Buttered Baby Carrots
  • Carrot Souffle
  • French Fries
  • Green Beans
  • Turnip Greens
  • Baby Lima Beans
  • Macaroni & Cheese
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Yellow Rice
  • Fried Okra
  • Buttered Okra
  • Smothered Okra
  • Candied Sweet Potatoes
  • French-Style Squash
  • Grilled Yellow Squash & Zucchini

Here's the list of sides at the Meat and Three Cafeteria in Homewood, AL:

• Mashed Potatoes
  • Fried Okra
  • Turnip Greens
  • Sliced Tomatoes
  • New Potatoes
  • Green Beans
  • Fried Green Tomatoes
  • Rice
  • Sauteed Squash
  • Broccoli & Cheese
  • Black Eyed Peas
  • Macaroni & Cheese
  • Corn
  • Butter Beans
  • Cabbage
  • Green Lima Beans
  • Okra & Tomatoes
  • Yams
  • Collard Greens

On their menu, "Choice of Cornbread, Dinner Roll or Mexican Bread" is listed separate from sides.

For the purposes of this throwdown, cornbread, bread, rolls, biscuits, dessert and beverages are not included in the "three" of "meat and three".

Here's an example of "meat and three" sides from Puckett's Grocery & Restaurant in Nashville:

• House Salad
  • House Caesar
  • Baked Beans
  • Onion Rings
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Squash Casserole
  • French Fries
  • Smashed Sweet Potatoes
  • Turnip Greens
  • Steamed Vegetables
  • Sweet Potato Fries
  • Green Beans
  • Vegetable of the Day
  • Cole Slaw
  • Potato Salad
  • Mac & Cheese

Here are the sides at Picadilly, a popular Southern "meat and three" cafeteria restaurant chain:

• Buttered Steamed Cabbage
  • Boiled New Potatoes
  • Candied Yams
  • Corn
  • Buttered Baby Carrots
  • Carrot Souffle
  • French Fries
  • Green Beans
  • Turnip Greens
  • Baby Lima Beans
  • Macaroni & Cheese
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Yellow Rice
  • Fried Okra
  • Buttered Okra
  • Smothered Okra
  • Candied Sweet Potatoes
  • French-Style Squash
  • Grilled Yellow Squash & Zucchini

Here's the list of sides at the Meat and Three Cafeteria in Homewood, AL:

• Mashed Potatoes
  • Fried Okra
  • Turnip Greens
  • Sliced Tomatoes
  • New Potatoes
  • Green Beans
  • Fried Green Tomatoes
  • Rice
  • Sauteed Squash
  • Broccoli & Cheese
  • Black Eyed Peas
  • Macaroni & Cheese
  • Corn
  • Butter Beans
  • Cabbage
  • Green Lima Beans
  • Okra & Tomatoes
  • Yams
  • Collard Greens

On their menu, "Choice of Cornbread, Dinner Roll or Mexican Bread" is listed separate from sides.

Chris,

It was "The" Piccadilly when I was growing up 😋! I can recall church van trips from my small hometown to the Big City. Wherever we went had better have either a Piccadilly or a Bojangles, or that town wasn't spit, ya hear me?

It was "The" Piccadilly when I was growing up ��! I can recall church van trips from my small hometown to the Big City. Wherever we went had better have either a Piccadilly or a Bojangles, or that town wasn't spit, ya hear me?
So maybe you've had some experience with "meat and three" or "meat and two". :D

I guess I'll get this one started.

Meat - Pork Loin in a bourbon sauce. I combined the ingredients and put in a small blender. Half for the marinade and reserved the other half, marinaded the pork for 2 days.

Side #1, Broccoli Salad, this is the recipe from Sweet Tomatoes. Really tasty stuff.
The ingredients.

All done and ready to chill for a couple hours.

Side #2 - Merliton and Crawfish Casserole. This is one of Emeril's recipes.
The ingredients.

I boiled the merlitons and sauteed the onions, bell pepper and garlic and then added the merlitons and cooked down some more. This is when it all comes together.

Side #3, Pouch Potatoes, this one is easy potatoes, onions EVOO and S&P.

Getting close, the casserole and potatoes were on for about 45 minutes.

Pork is done.

Plated with the reserve marinade on top.

This was a tasty meal. Thanks for looking.:cool:

Last edited:
Photobucket was having some issues today. It almost took as long to post the pictures as it did to cook the meal.

Pat has set a high bar as usual but fortune favours the brave so here is my first ever attempt at a challenge.

First the meat. The last two bone-in pork loin chops from my Turner and George butchery course. Best pork I have ever seen or eaten so far.

1BDFDACC-A9F9-4CD2-BC69-7A842E6A4DB9_zps5fpgcf2r.jpg

Touched up with some Rufus Teague rub

53A8A210-F47F-4000-9CDB-8009DD66D8D8_zpsz4yazzei.jpg

Then the three veg. Straight forward corn (with parprika and butter) I had left over in the fridge.
Freestyle BBQ beans, no recipe involved. These have fried shallots, smoked pancetta, haricot (navy) beans, butter beans, tinned cherry tomatoes, tomato puree, molasses (St Nicholas Abbey, Barbados) Onion granules, Worcester sauce, paprika, S&P.

Basement potatoes. Thinly sliced Vivaldi potatoes, thinly sliced onion, S&P and a splash of vegetable stock (Knorr). So these are boulangerie style with a grated cheddar topping.

73EB9480-A850-4362-A00E-40E306E4D34B_zpsa3ciypzg.jpg

All cooked on the 22.5 Kettle. Veg indirect then the chops thrown on the direct side. Corn finished off on the direct side then scraped off the cob. (there must be a word for that, I though it was shucked but that's not right.

A36DF3FD-822F-4B90-8883-5ADCA9698E74_zpsxoociqaw.jpg

6E5B693F-8380-4752-97EB-2902B528B1BA_zpsjwmscugl.jpg

Plated up with some homemade Bramley apple sauce (more leftovers going to good use).

1051760F-D01B-4BEA-8883-EBE5A46DF6AD_zpspij2jiln.jpg

ADF0C544-8C73-4B4D-95E9-75D41C8C7114_zpsyqrj65dg.jpg

Back