competition chicken on a kettle

ZacMiller

TVWBB Member
Has anyone or is it possible to do your KCBS style competition chicken on a kettle:blackkettle:? I think im going to try a practice run this weekend and see how it goes, ill post up some pictures

It is indeed possible !
... aim for bite through chicken skin
... butter (and a certain substitute) is your friend

Well I was a little reluctant to even post this, due to it turning out the way it did but as promised I tried to do KCBS style chicken thighs on my kettle. I was really unhappy with the results, I have no doubt it can be done but 1st run was a bust. Skin shrunk to about nothing. I like the idea of doing it as to my intended competition set up I plan on running a couple 22-1/2 WSM's and the kettle for the chicken. Back to the drawing board on these although I did learn the don'ts just more practice. Like Bob Bass said "Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong" well Bob I believe I have a starting point!

Last edited:
Hi Zac,

Great to see you practicing. Not unusual to hear pitmasters complain about not liking chicken any longer due to their endless practice sessions ;)

Suspect temperature control could be more difficult when using the kettle vs the wsm. Would make one appreciate the wsm's relatively even temperature. If you do the big meats overnight and cambro them early in the morning, the chicken and ribs would have the wsm all to themselves !

If I might suggest, make sure any sauce and spices you use, that could be considered 'chunky', have components that are smaller than a fine dice (1/8" x 1/8" x 1/8"). Otherwise it is a penalty. If you do have some chucky sauce or spices, grind/crush them down in size or use tweezers to remove. The reason I bring this up is the right row, top most thigh. Appears to be a lite colored chunk of something. Small detail, huge result. The other visible spices you are using look great !

Bob

Yes bob I thought the same thing as you on the chunkyness of the thighs, I tried a new rub and as you can tell I'm going back to old reliable. I used the same sause as normal. I'll get there just take some time...

Back