What do you clean the grate with?

Marcus Brannon

TVWBB Fan
On my Q1200, I find the brush I use on my kettle to be mostly ineffective. Sure, it gets some of the bigger pieces off but the grate is still covered in carbonized food dust. Is there a brush anyone would recommend?

I gave up on all the so called specialty brushes. I have been using a ss painters brush for years and years. If it gets to bad then I give it an oven cleaner cleaning. But that might be once a year. The ss brush has the scraper on the end that does a great job of the trully hard stuff.

That brush and ones like it are total junk. Not sure why they even sell it. Stupid wire handle will not allow you to "bare down" on it. It just folds. Once you try the Libman brushes you'll never want anything else. I buy them 2 or 3 at a time LOL

I like it well enough for the charcoal grills, but I get what you're saying. I'll definitely order a Libman to try out. Thanks for the suggestion!

My Billy Bar should be arriving any day. Looking forward to seeing how well it works. Sounds like I might need a Libman for my gasser's.

After scrubbing with the Weber wire brush, I rub the grill down with veggie-oiled kitchen towel held with a pair of long tongs. Occasionally, I'll flip the CI grate over and give the reverse side a good scrub too.

I like a shorter handled brush like this one when I'm not scrubbing over fire.
You can really bear down on these and service life is good.
I stole the pic from Breadberry and bought my last one from Lowes.
200qtdd.jpg

These things will really scrub.
Use judiciously.
They will take the hide off a rhino...
3M88.JPG

Last edited:
I just wire brush the the top edges and once in a blue moon do a major clean with oven cleaner and a lot of water. I just consider it seasoned.

The nylon stuff melts so cannot be used when most effective (on a hot grate) be wary of the Chinese cheap made brushes as they lose bristles and can get caught in your gut. I only use the el-cheapo ones on my burners. ON the grates I use well made brushes, either the Libman or the large heavy Weber brush though I dislike that Weber is not smart enough to make a brush with an angled head

The nylon stuff melts so cannot be used when most effective (on a hot grate) be wary of the Chinese cheap made brushes as they lose bristles and can get caught in your gut. I only use the el-cheapo ones on my burners. ON the grates I use well made brushes, either the Libman or the large heavy Weber brush though I dislike that Weber is not smart enough to make a brush with an angled head
They ALL can lose bristles.
If you use them dry you are more at risk.
If you rinse (read use wet) you are less at risk.

Like I said, I use a ss painters brush. Yes, once I a while a piece comes off. Not like the steel ones though. But I also wipe down the grates afterwards anyhoo so
no real chance of eating any. Just wipe and be observant.

I use the Weber brush on my Q's, after a cook, I restart the Q, heat the grate, and lightly go over the grate with the brush. After about every third cook, I spray the grate with cooking oil and heat it up to reseason the grates. This has worked well for the 220, but the two 300's are beginning to need new grates.

I have never lost a bristle from a quality brush. I buy the Libman ones at my local home center store called Menards. IIRC they're only like $6.60 ea so I buy 2 or 3 at a time. I use the junk ones to brush the burners. To me it's too easy to forget and not check for a loose bristle so that is why I buy quality brushes to start with.

I buy the Libman ones at my local home center store called Menards. IIRC they're only like $6.60 ea so I buy 2 or 3 at a time.

Having a hard time finding these locally in Houston, might have to order them online. Good news is my Billy Bar showed up yesterday, it is a very high quality cleaner.

I got my Libman today and tried it out on the Q. Not exactly what I was hoping for. I find that the weber one I posted above does a better over all job. That's ok, I still wanted one like this because of the scraper for my charcoal grills and smokers.

Back