Gasket TOO Tight?

Wade Leishman

TVWBB Member
Bought a gasket kit for my older 18.5" WSM and tried to install over the weekend...I watched the YouTube vid (which wasn't on a WSM), Followed the directions and on the lower section I thought everything went OK, UNTIL I tried to place the middle section back onto the lower bowl... and it's tight... like I'm unable to get it seated tight, like it no longer fits at all tight... I'm guessing that I could get it in there with a little persuasion (like a 2x4 and rubber mallet type persuasion), but not sure it would ever come out (making adding coal and wood, etc difficult). Did I screw something up, or ?

And if I pull the gasket off, then I guess I'd get to scrap/grind off all the messy red RTV and try again?

-Wade

I did this exact same thing but I was using old atv and it never really set up so I got it all off. If it will sit at all, you might just keep using it and eventually the gasket may lose its cushion a little bit and eventually fit right. Maybe wet it down and put it in?

Typically, the gaskets DO NOT go between the mid section and the lower since you have a "rolled" section. Rarely do these sections leak because of the tight fit. Gaskets are used for the lid and door.

Typically, the gaskets DO NOT go between the mid section and the lower since you have a "rolled" section. Rarely do these sections leak because of the tight fit. Gaskets are used for the lid and door.

Interesting... my lower section leaks way more smoke/air than any other spot on my smoker...

This was the kit that I ordered...
http://bbqgaskets.com/kits-by-brand/weber/wsm-bullet-kettle-complete-gasket-kit-door-and-body.html

wsm_kit_collage.jpg

I didn't do the lower section on mine. It is a tight taper fit so it wasn't needed. I figured the gasket would be to thick and either peel off or deform the middle section. Even my out of round first section didn't leak any smoke from that joint.

Interesting... my lower section leaks way more smoke/air than any other spot on my smoker...

This was the kit that I ordered...
http://bbqgaskets.com/kits-by-brand/weber/wsm-bullet-kettle-complete-gasket-kit-door-and-body.html

wsm_kit_collage.jpg

If the seam between the 2 sections leaks, something is probably out of round. A good way to find the leak is to leave the top off, shine a flashlight around the seam from the outside, and look for light coming inside. Obviously do this in the dark.

I think mine is slightly out of round. I never see smoke coming from there, though but I wonder if air is getting in. Either way, I know some people don't put the gasket on the lower section, but if you have a problem there a gasket can help. I'm thinking of trying the self-adhesive gasket

I did mine at the end of 2011 / start of 2012. Middle section received gaskets on both top and bottom edges, but not the door. Also did gasket work on the Stoker fan's doggy dish and the fan housing. WSM (original) door received no gasket. Gasket used was one meant for an Extra Large Egg and had the attached double sided tape. Cut each length in half, length wise. Double sided adhesive tape finally gave up earlier this year.

Used the directions that were posted back then to install this specific tape. Worked great.

Back