Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First few practice runs on KCBS BBQ

Hi all, I just did my first KCBS comp this year. I walked away with a MASSIVE education that I just didn't expect. A couple of key takeaways were: 1) practicing 2 or 3 meats is still not like cooking all 4. You really should try that at least once before you go. 2) cooking for the box is nothing like cooking for people. You're gonna waste food and feel bad about it. Get over it. 3) Set up your cook space at home and use it. That way you will not feel uncomfortable on comp day. 4) Dont pack the night before. It's just not realistic. Enjoy.
    18"WSM, 22.5"WSM, 14.5" WSM, '03 22.5"OTPlat, 22.5"OTGold, Performer Premium, GoAnywhere charcoal, Smokey Joe, BBQGuru ATC

Thats my plan Brett, ill do a full 4 meat run down before comp time, I just wanna refine each meant before doing a full mock comp

You're gonna do great. My goal was to not come in last. I achieved that goal *and* got an education that I couldn't have gotten any other way. I'm totally excited for you. You'll love it.

B.
    18"WSM, 22.5"WSM, 14.5" WSM, '03 22.5"OTPlat, 22.5"OTGold, Performer Premium, GoAnywhere charcoal, Smokey Joe, BBQGuru ATC

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Fields View Post
    My goal was to not come in last. I achieved that goal *and* got an education that I couldn't have gotten any other way.
    Brett, I like that you set a goal that was realistic. I would like to compete someday and if I get to I'm going to borrow your goal until I really learn the ins and outs.
    Last edited by Pat G; 10-13-2016 at 03:16 PM.
    2016 Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genisis Gold B(Redhead) WSM 14.5 Original Kettle 22 Jumbo Joe Smokey Joe Silver VORTEX

Would like to inject one more bit of suggestion...

Plan Your Cook AND, most importantly, Cook Your Plan !!!
    Follow YOUR timeline to the letter, especially when at the comp.
    Don't let those Big Rig, Sleep Robbing, Shiny, Pull-Behind, what you might call Its change YOUR timeline.
    KCBS, CBBQA, Operation BBQ Relief

So I hemmed & hawed for several years trying to get my food "ready". I thought my food was "ready enough". I was wrong. *BUT* the only way to get your food "ready" is to have it judged and read comment cards. OMFG! What an eye opener. Stuff I thought I did well got hammered, stuff I wasn't so sure of did way better than I expected. I thought they would just toss my chicken to the dogs. Other than the skin issue, it worked out OK. If I can get that under control, I'm gonna be competitive in chicken. They made my brisket sit in the corner wearing a dunce cap! Too tender, too raggedy, too bland, etc. Oy!

In the end though, I'm gonna get much better. I have more perspective now.
    So come on! Pay an entry fee, show up, and put out what you got. You'll have a great time!

B.

well after the last few snow storms I still try to get some practice in still not the results i'm looking for but i do learn something new every time.... 2nd attempt at brisket just a simple USDA choice grade about 14#. i really wish i wouldn't of squared up the ends. lesson learned a little more trimming it should be top notch

1 Weber OTS 22" 1 Weber OTG 18.5" 1 Weber Pimped out Smokey Joe Gold 1 Weber WSM 22" 1 Weber WSM 14.5 BBQ Guru DigiQ, Lime Green Thermopen MK4

Very Nice job, Zac !!! A Very solid 8 from both myself and my wife (she too is a Master). Very close to a 9.

If I might suggest a couple of items.
    Be real cautious with your spice and sauce chunk size. If anywhere near 1/8", you might get hit.
    When spraying, be careful that you don't accidentally create a pool. Very Very Grey area, but just something to watch out for.
    Added a couple more burnt ends would help fill out the side areas.

All in all... A Very Good Job !!!!!
    I would love to judge your turn-in !
    Wishing You and Your Team, BBQ Excellence !!!!!!!!!
    KCBS, CBBQA, Operation BBQ Relief

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12