First few practice runs on KCBS BBQ

ZacMiller

TVWBB Member
First off any critiques or advice any of you have to give i'm all ears, I'm very new to this and hope to compete in the 2017 season at a few cooks to get my feet wet. So here is a few of my practice attempts at KCBS style bbq, chicken i'm still working on uniformity to get a good end result. If i started cooking 10-12 pcs i think i could put together a respectable looking box...

2nd attempt at chicken, didn't take pictures of the first one, and first turn in box build

3rd attempt (quick run on a sunday afternoon)

4th run of chicken

Got burned out on praticing chicken so moved on to brisket
1st attempt at brisket

Currenlty im in the process of getting 2 more 22WSMs rigged up and ready for 2017 i have one now and going to pratice chicken on a kettle, if i cant get the results im looking for im thinking of going with a 18wsm for chicken. All of my WSM have bbq gurus. Thanks again everyone

Last edited:
Hi Zac,

Very nice job on your 1st box build ! Take it you're doing the lettuce pinwheels ? Also, Kale is being used more often (just another option).

Chicken's looking good. Going by weight or visual size for each thigh ? How did they turn out, texture wise ?

Also a very nice job on the brisket ! I would love to try a slice and a burnt end !

Your attention to detail shows well in what you're doing. Great Job ! I have a suspicion that you and your team will do well in competition.

Bob

Thanks Bob, the Kale box is something I'm planning on trying on the pork box. I'm planning on this weekend for that. Its going to start getting cooler here in Iowa so id like to get in as many practice runs as possible. And im looking for general size when I've been building my boxes? Finally cutting the knuckle was a big step forward in helping that i think and the taste and tenderness have been great ( well what id consider great) I plan on taking a KCBS Judge class in February to see what it is exactly the judges are looking for, And my attention to detail is pretty sharp i think because every picture i posted there are things after words id change down to the last pcs of parsley to discolored spots or blotches of sauce on the chicken. But in the end its been a fun journey over the last 2 months trying different things and the end results. Time will only tell how competition BBQ will go for me?

Last edited:
Hi Zac,

If I might suggest, when you take the cbj class... go in with no preconceived notions of what one might think judges look for. You'll find the class will teach you what to look for legality wise, not quality wise. Guidelines are given. Once you have completed the class, judge some competitions. Excellent way to see what is actually out there !

One of the most often phrases heard... Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong.

Bob

Last edited:
One of the most often phrases heard... Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong.
I really like that!, I've been keeping a pretty descriptive journal on every cook, all the aspects i find maybe important in the future all the way down to the weather, I've pretty much set forth to cook every weekend for the last two months windy, rainy, clam it don't matter i'm there trying. I'm sure once my first competition hits all i can hope for is i'm a little better prepared, as of right now its just me on this BBQ adventure, i'm sure I can talk the GF in to coming along with me but who knows...

Zak,
Great looking boxes on chicken.
Not over sauced, great color but you have to look for uniformity in shape and dimension.

About brisket, I don't agree in offering to the 6 judges differrent quantities of meat. The first judge probably will get the first lower slice of meat and therefore the 6th judge will get the smallest.
I know there is no rules about this and it is perfectly "legal" but Im afraid could happen some unpleasant score in appereance.
Much better avoid any risk and offer similar slices to the 6 judges.

IMO, uniformity in dimensions and quantities is the guide line.

yes for sure Enrico, the brisket was my first try and after it was all set and done I thought the same thing you mentioned, see lesson learned.

Doing full competition cooks at home
With turn ins will help get the flow
Find a reliable helper
The cbj class has little relevance
(Don't use red tip lettuce put in six)
But judging a contest would be valuable
Unfortunately it's hard to have one without the other

You haven't done a comp yet and your boxes already look like this?? Amazing man, great looking boxes. You sound like you're going all in with this and that's great. Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing how you do!

Thanks guys,I really know i have things to work on but hope 2017 is a good ice breaker year for us, making the turn in times, purchasing the equipment Id like to have, Id be ecstatic to get a call our first year, and finding a partner to compete with, It'll be a lot of work if i fly solo lol

Hi all, I just did my first KCBS comp this year. I walked away with a MASSIVE education that I just didn't expect. A couple of key takeaways were: 1) practicing 2 or 3 meats is still not like cooking all 4. You really should try that at least once before you go. 2) cooking for the box is nothing like cooking for people. You're gonna waste food and feel bad about it. Get over it. 3) Set up your cook space at home and use it. That way you will not feel uncomfortable on comp day. 4) Dont pack the night before. It's just not realistic. Enjoy.

Thats my plan Brett, ill do a full 4 meat run down before comp time, I just wanna refine each meant before doing a full mock comp

You're gonna do great. My goal was to not come in last. I achieved that goal *and* got an education that I couldn't have gotten any other way. I'm totally excited for you. You'll love it.

B.

My goal was to not come in last. I achieved that goal *and* got an education that I couldn't have gotten any other way.

Brett, I like that you set a goal that was realistic. I would like to compete someday and if I get to I'm going to borrow your goal until I really learn the ins and outs.

Last edited:
Would like to inject one more bit of suggestion...

Plan Your Cook AND, most importantly, Cook Your Plan !!!
Follow YOUR timeline to the letter, especially when at the comp.
Don't let those Big Rig, Sleep Robbing, Shiny, Pull-Behind, what you might call Its change YOUR timeline.

So I hemmed & hawed for several years trying to get my food "ready". I thought my food was "ready enough". I was wrong. *BUT* the only way to get your food "ready" is to have it judged and read comment cards. OMFG! What an eye opener. Stuff I thought I did well got hammered, stuff I wasn't so sure of did way better than I expected. I thought they would just toss my chicken to the dogs. Other than the skin issue, it worked out OK. If I can get that under control, I'm gonna be competitive in chicken. They made my brisket sit in the corner wearing a dunce cap! Too tender, too raggedy, too bland, etc. Oy!

In the end though, I'm gonna get much better. I have more perspective now.
So come on! Pay an entry fee, show up, and put out what you got. You'll have a great time!

B.

well after the last few snow storms I still try to get some practice in still not the results i'm looking for but i do learn something new every time.... 2nd attempt at brisket just a simple USDA choice grade about 14#. i really wish i wouldn't of squared up the ends. lesson learned a little more trimming it should be top notch

Very Nice job, Zac !!! A Very solid 8 from both myself and my wife (she too is a Master). Very close to a 9.

If I might suggest a couple of items.
Be real cautious with your spice and sauce chunk size. If anywhere near 1/8", you might get hit.
When spraying, be careful that you don't accidentally create a pool. Very Very Grey area, but just something to watch out for.
Added a couple more burnt ends would help fill out the side areas.

All in all... A Very Good Job !!!!!
I would love to judge your turn-in !
Wishing You and Your Team, BBQ Excellence !!!!!!!!!

Still at it this is my first pork box practice, I learn more and more each time I cook, still along ways to go... Thanks for everyone's replies

Perhaps it is the flash, and perhaps it may be what is needed for competitions, but your food looks wet to me. Not moist, but wet.

I'll admit I know nothing about judging, or competitions, so take my opinions only as what they are, uninformed.

Back