Little DIY table to prop up the Smokey Joe

Jules B

TVWBB Member
Hi all, I’ve had a Smokey Joe for years and have used and enjoyed it very much over the years, it is the grill I use the most out of all the BBQs I have we’ve taken it camping, to the park, to the beach and it’s the grill I normally fire up in the evening for when Miss Jules and I grill some steaks or chicken for dinner …

But what makes the Smokey Joe brilliant, i.e. its small size and portability is also its main drawback since I always have to bend and crouch when tending it or flipping the food over, until last week.
For those of you who don’t know, apart from being into BBQ I’m also big into carpentry and DIY, as I had some scrap wood and some pallet timber leftover form previous projects I built in an evening a small side table to prop up the Smokey Joe / Mini WSM for next time I’ll use it!

Only thing left to do is to give it 2 coats of stain-sealer and I’m done, I intend to leave it out all the time (pallet wood is really tough material and withstand the weather well) and also use it as a little side table when sitting out in our garden by the chiminea for an evening glass of wine, or 2, or 3!
:)

Crosscutting the stretchers of the apron on the table saw:

Hand planning the legs and chamfering the edges after having cut the half lap joints:

Finished underside of the table top:

Assembled underframe:

Finished table with the Mini WSM sitting proudly on top:

This kind of project can be done also with minimum power tools, even with hand tools only if needs be, so anyone can build on really, enjoy!

Jules

Last edited:
Sweet ! Might just have to do that. But I need something at least twice as big.
great wood working.

Have a go at it George it's easier than it seems, I'm with you on the need of building a bigger table, in fact this was just a quick project I did in 2 evenings but for the last week I have been working on a much bigger and involved project, stay tuned, I'll post it in a couple of day when I will have finished it :)

Can't see your picture Jules. Just see the meowing kitty, which says "click here to view" and when I do that it tells me that your pictures have either been deleted or moved. I'd be interested in seeing the pic's.

Can't see your picture Jules. Just see the meowing kitty, which says "click here to view" and when I do that it tells me that your pictures have either been deleted or moved. I'd be interested in seeing the pic's.

OK sorry, I think the link got broken when I rearranged my Photobucket subfolders, hang on I'll fix this now! Jules

Back