Request for bell peppers grilling advice

Alber AL

TVWBB Fan
Hi all,

I haven´t found a post about it.
Yesterday I grilled some red bell peppers in my gas bbq.
I didn´t know if i should have high temperature or lower for more time. I f I had to use foil for each one, close the lid or leave it open.
at the end i didn´t use foil, i put them directly over medium heat and the lid close. They get black but weren´t burnt inside.. anyway it was difficult to skin them and the juices were lost. Is it difficult to clean them?

Any help to grill would be appreciatted.
Thanks

I haven't done them on a gas grill, but am doing them on a regular base in the oven, or in the gas flame of the stove, or in the ashes of a charcoal braai.
I don't see why it wouldn't work on a gas bbq.

The skin needs to get quite black and starts blistering.
You may need to turn them often.
Then throw them in a bag or tupperware and close it till the peppers are cool enough to handle.
You can then quite easily peel them.
I find it harder with green bell peppers than with the other colours

From your description: I would put the temperature as high as possible and you may not have blackened them enough.

Good luck the next time as they are quite nice.
I like to toss them with olive oil and balsemic vinegar :)

If you want the sweetest ones don't use the green, they tend to be bitter. I always go with the red, orange, and yellow. They are all the same but the red, orange, and yellow have been on the vine longer. Get them nice an black and they should peel very easily.

What Anne said. I've found the sweetest red peppers to be red Shepherd peppers. Having said that, I do use regular bells for grilling but the shepherds for eating out-of-hand.

Anne's technique works for just about any pepper. I do a bushel or so of Hatch chilis when the are in season, then freeze them in small batches to satisfy the Hatch jones year-round.

Thank you all,
I used to do them in the oven, as Hasselberger say, bushels of them during the year, but I had to try on the BBQ.
Anne, you got it. The tip is to cool them in a tupper or so to peel them off.

I´ll try it again and again.
Chris, with that recipe remember me this one:
xreceta443.jpg.pagespeed.ic.sXCSYzZyOT.jpg

Thank you all,
I used to do them in the oven, as Hasselberger say, bushels of them during the year, but I had to try on the BBQ.
Anne, you got it. The tip is to cool them in a tupper or so to peel them off.

I´ll try it again and again.
Chris, with that recipe remember me this one:
xreceta443.jpg.pagespeed.ic.sXCSYzZyOT.jpg

Pepper and egg? Love it, and that's a different twist for sure! :cool:

Tim

Yep, BOY HOWDY, those look great Bob!
I just got a reconditioned iPad Air with the higher def screen and I can really seem to get my drool factory working now!

Those are some good looking stuffed peppers there JPowers. My wife does stuff peppers with an Armenian theme and I will ask her to make them and let me cook them on the grill with the vortex.

The Vortex cooks some delicious peppers as well.

Peppers are perfect grilling veg. The skins are remarkably heat resistant. Some chefs use a blowtorch on them put directly over gas burner. The charred skin just rubs off.

Some great stuffed peppers example on here. Trying to get my head around the ones with eggs in them, but don't knock it until you try it I guess.

In the spring/summer I buy red, yellow, and orange peppers and roast them on the gas grill.

I put it on high and turn them every 3 to 5 minutes. When they are blackened on the outside and starting to soften, I put them in a bowl and put a plate on top to trap the heat.

Let them sit 15 minutes or so. Then skin the black off. Paper towels or even surgical gloves can make it easier.

I chunk the seeds/core, cut them into strips, and drizzle with olive oil. Hit with plenty of kosher salt and cracked pepper. Delicious.

I put them in a brown paper bag after grilling. Close the bag and wait til they cool and they will peel easily.
Ray

Back