Anyone modified vents?

VMastros

TVWBB Member
I have a WSM 22.5 and I just built by UDS. First time I tried to UDS I found that controlling temperature with the vents was very easy. It has three three-quarter inch holes. Has anybody sealed up the original Vents on their WSM and drilled in UDS style vents?

The rivets in my vents seemed to get worn and loose over time so I drilled them out and replace the rivets with a 1/4" SS bolt and nut. I can now keep the vent tight against the body of the WSM which allows better air control.

I ordered a set of 3 extra vents. I experimented with a 22" conventional Weber kettle putting it in the top and on the first cook it ran much hotter and the coal burned completely. Often the coal in the past would have some that didn't burn completely up.

I then installed a top vent on the 18.5" WSM. I have yet to use it yet but feel it will be better on poultry as it didn't get as hot as I would like. I probably will not install on the 22.5" due to not needing high heat.

I have a WSM 22.5 and I just built by UDS. First time I tried to UDS I found that controlling temperature with the vents was very easy. It has three three-quarter inch holes. Has anybody sealed up the original Vents on their WSM and drilled in UDS style vents?

Kinda sorta!

I cooked for a lot of years direct on Big Drum Smoker clones - mainly 55 gallon drums with three 3/4" holes that is used ground magnets to regulate the intake. I cooked hot, and the drums usually ran with one intake open and the other 2 closed.

I have a Mini Cajun Bandit Smoker Joe that I modified UDS style and it works fantastic! No worries of ash clogging the bottom vents etc.

Sealed the bottom vent with chrome hole plugs and use an expando charcoal basket so the ashes fall to the bottom.

IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_3511.jpg

IMG_3516.jpg

IMG_3522.jpg

IMG_3525.jpg

Would I do it on my 22" WSM's? No definitely not, I don't see any reason why I would need to. I am really into the Drum's and love the direct "fats dripping on the coals" flavor. I can stick a Hunsaker Smokers Vortex basket in the Bullet and get the same results, but the drums are just a tighter cooker.

Back