Need Taco Salad Recipe

Bob Ivey

TVWBB Emerald Member
Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes.

The wife is talking about a family gathering next weekend to celebrate her sisters completion of an educational milestone. She is wanting to do taco salad but I am tired of the traditional ground beef taco salad and was wondering if anyone here had done taco salad with something like pulled beef or something like that. Am open to any suggestions. I have both chicken and chuck roast in the freezer so that would not be an issue. Also have CSR's in the freezer. Any idea's will be greatly appreciated.

I guess that I am just tired of ground beef with the exception of burgers and meatloaf. I am going to start keeping frozen pulled pork and beef in 1# packages for things like tacos and such to avoid the ground meat things me wife makes when in a hurry. She is coming around to these things slowly and this would be a good step if I can find the right recipe.

Some ideas

Go to a Mexican market and get some carne asada or pollo asada or make your won
Skirt or flank steak.
Make chicken or steak fajitas and throw that on top of a salad for something different
Southwest grilled chicken salad.

I use my leftover pulled pork or sliced/diced brisket for tacos and they're great.
Since you have both, chicken and beef, in the freezer, I'd do two composed taco salads, you could use the same greens/garnishes for each, just top with the different proteins. Or, make one large greens bowl and have all the trimmings and proteins in their own dishes. They'd make nice buffet items.

That sounds like a very good idea Tom. The thought of another taco salad with ground beef just makes me gag. I will smoke the beef and pork Tuesday and probably do some chicken at the same time. A taco salad bar with three protiens should go over very well. Great idea.

My wife found this recipe in some magazine and as much as I usually hate these "throw it all in the crockpot and walk away" recipes, this one is pretty good and easy.

2 lb. chicken breast (boneless/skinless or just split skinless)
2-3 tablespoons taco seasoning (pre-made stuff or homemade - recipe follows)
1 - 16 oz. jar of your favorite salsa

Throw it all in a slow cooker on low for 4-6 hours. I've also cooked in foil pans in my WSM at ~275 degrees for 4 hours.

Taco Seasoning

- 6 parts chili powder
- 3 parts paprika
- 2 parts onion powder
- 1 part sea salt
- 1 part garlic powder
- 1 part ground cumin
- 1 part oregano
- 1 part freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste(optional)
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste (optional)

I like all the ideas so far including the taco seasoning above (I use panzey's bold taco for the last few years) - I suggested making a loose clone of Cafe Rio's pork salad to a cousin earlier this week. It took forever for me to try it at my aunt's suggestion, and I always enjoy it, although our meat is better.

Back