Tater Tots

Phil M

TVWBB Member
Hi Guys/Gals,

are tater tots the same as we call potato croquettes in the UK?

Basically, mashed potato formed into a little cylinder with a breadcrumb
coating then frozen.We can buy these here as croquettes. Is that just a
fancy name for Tater Tots?
And... If they are the same, how do you cook them on the grill rather than
the kitchen oven?

Many thanks in advance for answering what's probably a stupid question.

Phil,
They are different.
Tater tots are made from cooked grated potatoes not mashed and breaded.
Some corn flour is included though.
20110325-food-lab-tater-tots-nutrition.jpg

I grill them indirect until hot, then roll around direct until well browned.
Might work with your croquettes too if they are firm enough.

RImZikpOzWF_E5cZJEl9UmDi-YvuQWl6rt7p-nsZOr2BSh3jMYGZiZCmilfHG9Ju347gi69ML9BveLecD8wW2QFX3qrDGiBddyRfrPPGTs8nH25asycLG0-orM8Rw1H9YLWe4OVLswqDUutwwnzovwGahpJukyjJdFLCMOnMaSkBLouquJ2muazs3NSDoVf4QmtpcsP_j3Gf8Iwuc4EMESG2r7ihvgW_h4HWDaJ7FGLxEzNUJA7W_DZ4g_JSiSesXW-gbOUmAKE_BiKVgN-GW0IBTzTFExdkjt9a3lQAHD_WF8FpbnSqwN_yr8HifazAwXbcLlDvcHwwUbSSDGJG-Em-_Jl1sVRph6NP3a3WTrPA3m_7UGj1tO_ncMVhB3UDSWhGEbolvr8k39y9kWNSjAdxlsCRi0K8RNIhRF2DYMGMEVF4bwRV5QJWG-kZ8JQFaRummqgfhwmWXBuLWtu9D9EoObXCoT2pa91k54ZGziAICVF1-QcOfsaNqXKO9ssDPENCVDYW21-r-JCyxlegg-8xD1JVju7BGeQFPd2DEM_RP0-GrH-lwzOLs13B34AYj6mDSF_y8m8w23pr3jVHYMPDaDDCOar5jOk9yk19IwXY7uwPZA=w1128-h752-no

Although they're not the same, croquettes are also tasty little treats. If you want to do them in the grill try a skillet, pizza stone or even a sheet pan.

Silly really. I have a brother who lives in Baton Rouge but he's not a cook fan, so I have to rely on the experts like you guys. Maybe we'll get over there one day, it's an open invite so "my bad" as they seem to say nowadays.

Although they're not the same, croquettes are also tasty little treats. If you want to do them in the grill try a skillet, pizza stone or even a sheet pan.

Thanks Darren, now got the little blighters on a pan inside the Q. I'll roll them around occasionally and if necessary, give them a sear on the high heat. Now itching to see what happens. I remember croquettes as a kid, probably cheap & cheerful, but I always really enjoyed them. We'll see if that's still the case.

Phil, one other thing to remember is that no question is dumb if you don't know the answer. That is how we learn. We are here to help each other and in the process, we all learn and become better. Due to your question, I now know what croquettes are. Have heard of them before but did not know what they were. Thanks for the info.

I've never considered grilling a croquette, and to be honest, I have not done tater tots by themselves. Always jalapeño added and wrapped with half a slice of bacon! It's become a seriously sought after treat around here! Goat cheese stuffed cherry peppers as a cold app, tots for a hot one, life's grand!

I wonder if Amazon could get Tater Tots to the UK safely still frozen?

I can't say I've ever tried it, but i imagine you could get pretty close making your own by shredding potatoes with a box grater, adding a little seasonings and maybe some breadcrumbs or cracker meal for binder...

Consistent size, weight and shape are the important thing. I love the things! Good luck and keep us posted with how they work out!

They are pretty much a staple in my freezer, tater tot carsserole when it gets cold, have not tried that on the kettle but, it's sure tasty from the oven!
They seem to go on "buy one/get one" around here pretty often so, I have a whole bag on hand most of the time!

Back