Auber Question

PHolder

TVWBB Pro
All,
I've had my 18inch WSM for about a year now. Enjoying it very much, cooking everything from meatloaf to pork shoulder. Brisket is coming soon.
I am considering buying an Auber unit and had a question regarding the fan size. Auber's site recommends the 6.5 cfm for the 18inch but was wondering how that does with higher heat cooking like in the 350 degree range for turkey and meatloaf.
Anyone have experience with this?

Thank you!

It will work fine most of the time. I did have to go up to the 20cfu fan for my 22" WSM, but only for cold or rainy days - as in Wisconsin November cold. The nice thing about the Auber blowers are that they are pretty cheap and you can swap them easily.

OK, I checked the website and found that the prices have gone up! I might go with the 10 cfu if you think think that you will be doing a lot of high heat cooks.

Last edited:
The 6.5 CFM works fine on the 18 but you can bump up to the 10 CFM if you are wanting to do 300+ degree cooks. In a pinch I used my 6.5 cfm on the 22 WSM and it held 300 pretty well. I had to stir the coals a couple of times but no big deal.

Hope this helps

Thank you for the replies. I have an Auber with a 6.5 CFM fan under the tree. I figured I'd stay with the smaller fan since I'm mainly buying it for longer overnight cooks.

Do any of you have a consensus regarding using water in the pan with the Auber?

I run no water in my pan (covered in foil). I cook around 250-275 and this lets me hit those temps easier. My suggestion is to go without water to help with cleanup. If you're cooking above 250 it'll be hard to maintain temps with water.

However, if you really like using water in the pan go for it! There are no wrong answers in bbq.

Back