trouble threading on the propane tanks onto my performer grill..can anyone help?

CJ Chandler

Our grill: Weber Performer Model #1484001, purchased in 2013.

Looking for suggestions on an easier way to hook our propane tanks to this grill. We typically use the 1lb tanks, we don't really grill too heavy to warrant getting bigger tanks, but we'd consider it if it could make a difference with our situation. Getting these tanks screwed onto the fitting has proved to be something we dread doing, as it takes longer than it should. We just have a difficult time getting it started so it can be threaded on. We end up having to sit down on the deck to get level with the fitting and still its a struggle. We are not getting any younger so having to sit flat on the deck is difficult and its become very frustrating for us. I've seen some quick connect fittings online but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at, so hesitant to buy. Most seem to reference some older style grills, so not sure what I would need for my model, which is only 3 years old. Can someone help give me some options for something that would work with our grill (links would be appreciated)? Thank you

CJ

CJ, I have noticed the same thing on my 2016 model. I just have come to the realization that it might take a few tries to get it right.

Lee, if you think that will work with my model and make life easier, I'm willing to give it a try. Pat, comforting to hear I'm not the only one that has trouble threading it on. though it seems to take longer than it should for us to finally get it on there. somedays I walk away in frustration and go back to it later, somedays it doesn't give me a ton of trouble, other days I want to hurl the tank into the woods and never grill again! just need an easier option for us.

I had issues with my Q1200 as well before I bought the propane tank adapter for the larger tank. I think it's just the threading on those tanks that makes it so difficult.

I have both a Q1200 and a Performer and yes, it's a pain to get the canister started. It has to be lined up and you have to put some pressure on the canister to get it to start. Try pushing it into the connector, then rotating it counterclockwise until you feel a small "click" (which will indicate that the treads are ready to connect), then turn it clockwise while maintaining the pressure. Somebody should devise a better connector.

Also, Weber offers the 6' hose adapter for a 10# tank at about $30. It works great, but for some reason, critters enjoy chewing on the hose.

Jeff

Lee, if you think that will work with my model and make life easier, I'm willing to give it a try. Pat, comforting to hear I'm not the only one that has trouble threading it on. though it seems to take longer than it should for us to finally get it on there. somedays I walk away in frustration and go back to it later, somedays it doesn't give me a ton of trouble, other days I want to hurl the tank into the woods and never grill again! just need an easier option for us.
I don't know if it'll work. it was just a suggestion that it might work. A lot of those units are meant to connect a grill to an RV main tank. The details for that particular unit said it would work with a 20 lb tank (which is what I assumed you have).

I have the conversion hose that is used for the "Qs" that attaches to the 20# tanks on both my performers fits perfectly and is long enough to allow you to put the tank just about anywhere.

Two reasons I did that. One, I'm going to be 70 and crawling around on the ground ain't fun anymore. Two, the little tanks are expensive and don't last very long.

Both my performers are well into their second year of use and we use them a lot and both are still at least 1/2 full.
Filling the tanks at Costco is around $6 and I'm sure I'll get at least three years of use out of both of them.

If you have to move the grill just disconnect the tank and move it separately.

Best thing I've ever done..

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0012XXD4Y/tvwb-20

Last edited:
we are only using the smaller 1lb tanks, so not sure if that makes a difference in what type of adapter I can use to make things easier.

The 20# tank will last a very long time and also be much cheaper in the long run. Amortize it over say, 2 years, and it really doesn't cost much at all. A lot less than those 1# tanks and a lot less hassle. The 20# tank will just sit on the lower shelf out of the way.

I think you guys talked me into just getting a 20lb tank and the quick connect hose for it. seems it will make grill life easier and that's what I'm looking to do. thanks all

I've had my Performer for 7 years and only a few times the tanks screwed in with little effort.
Since I don't let it run very long, just enough to get a few coals going, the small tanks last a good while for me.
I'm not willing to give up space for the larger tank, so I'll stay with the small ones.

My only advice is to support the cylinder with one hand cupped loosely under the bottom and turn with the other.
This way you can kind of wiggle it around until it threads.
If it doesn't hit pretty fast, I pull up a chair. :)

I've had my Performer for 7 years and only a few times the tanks screwed in with little effort.
Since I don't let it run very long, just enough to get a few coals going, the small tanks last a good while for me.
I'm not willing to give up space for the larger tank, so I'll stay with the small ones.

My only advice is to support the cylinder with one hand cupped loosely under the bottom and turn with the other.
This way you can kind of wiggle it around until it threads.
If it doesn't hit pretty fast, I pull up a chair. :)

"pull up a chair" Ah Ha and me I've been on my knees fighting the little bugger until I went to the big tanks. Brilliant Bob just Brilliant;)

I might mention that I only leave mine lit (under the chimney) for THREE minutes by the clock. The small cylinders last pretty well when used that way. However, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with converting to the 20# cylinder. I have several of the large cylinders so it would be easy for me to do. Of course, if you grill everyday, you will use more gas than those who only grill on the weekends...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

And on another note, the more 20# tanks you have, in an emergency you are set if services are not working. Earthquake, floods, tornado's and other disasters. Always good to have some in a safe place. Just a thought.

If it is only being used to START your Performer - another good option might be to get a 5-Pounder tank instead of the big one.
It will STILL last W-A-Y-Y-Y longer than the throw-aways, plus you can use it as a back-up for another Gas appliance if you have one.
(The 5-Pound tank should be able to sit on the rack without causing any damage. That is probably NOT the case for the 20-pounder.

I think that the adapter hose for Coleman Propane Grills would also work (threads-into the small tank adapter and other end fits a bigger tank)

Back