Actual charcoal amount vs. Weber published amount

BFletcher

TVWBB Platinum Member
Hello! I began grilling with charcoal earlier this year, on both the 22.5 and 26 kettles. Is there any disagreement in my opinion that more charcoal is required than what is stated in the Weber manuals, even during summer months? Using Kingsford's Original it's not uncommon for me to use an overflowing standard chimney (not the compact) on the 26" spread over half the grate when I want 500* and I come close to a full chimney on the 22.5". I'm satisfied with the results but I don't want to grow old doing something wrong for the next 20 years. Ohio zone 6. Thanks for any feedback.

Sounds like you're bang on with your amounts for briquettes. If you want more heat with less fuel you can also try lump.

You have learned lesson #1. Don't take the manual too seriously. You already have or will very soon learn how much charcoal is needed for the job at hand. Several factors go into how much fuel is needed so there is no magic number but it sounds like you have it figured out.

I don't have a 26 but that sounds about right and I use a full chimney on the 22.5 for HH cooks.

I agree with Timothy. They are guidelines to give you a kind of starting point. I do like Rich and use a full chimney for a HH cook.

i usually use one chimney on my ranch for cooks. At times if i want massive amount of direct cooking space then two, but usually one does the trick for indirect then direct sear. Rotate the foods to direct from indirect. On my 22" performer i just use the two charcoal baskets and end up with leftover after extinguishing.

"They are really guidelines more than rules"

bf682b61196c73d7a68f573531660cb6c593e3690701c990245efabb4b57afd6.jpg

;)

Yep, save the manual and use it to light your chimney.:)
Charcoal is pretty cheap, and what you don't use you can use next cook if you shut down all the vents.

Tim

I rarely use a full load of "new" charcoal anymore, about half a chimney of fresh, top it off with the old (from my nice heavy, shiny new SS baskets) shaken to remove most of the dust. Touched off with two crumpled sheets of newspaper, it's the only thing the Kalamazoo Gazette is good for.

Back