Aaron Franklin's Favorite Brisket Slicing Knife

Read the reviews and it seems to be a great knife to have. I never have smoked a full brisket, so that will be a no sale to Barb.

I've got one based on the recommendation from the book and it works great. I just have no idea how to sharpen it. Still cuts well though.

I just have no idea how to sharpen it. Still cuts well though.
Ditto on my vintage Henkels 10" slicer.
I have, so far, only used a steel on it and it's still plenty sharp.

000_0169.jpg

I've had several of the Dexter-Russel knives for years and that is a great knife for roasts or hams.
I like the Duo-glide models for prepping/chopping cause my hands are not what they used to be.

Tim

Both the Dexter and Victorinox/Forschner are of great quality.
They are the ones used by the pros.

I give a slight nod to Victorinox/Forschner because I like their Fibrox handles.

That Dexter knife seems inexpensive for what it does.

Shhhhh.....
The two brands mentioned above are the secret, sleeper deal on great knives.
My two most used are the Victorinox/Forschner 8" chef's and the Dexter offset sandwich slicer.

Great holiday gifts for those that don't have decent knives.
Visit your restaurant supply store.

Thanks for the post, Chis. I'm tempted to pick one of those knives up.

I already have a Victorinox exactly like the one Bob Ivey posted, but there's always room for another type!

My problem is that I have to order the same knife but in 10 inch. The 12 is a little big for some things like the TT we grilled today. Great knife for sure. The Victorinox work great and are easy to keep sharp.

I already have a Victorinox exactly like the one Bob Ivey posted, but there's always room for another type!

I picked up a rosewood handled Forschner 12" like that when a restaurant supply place was closing them out due to the change in NSF regulations regarding the safety of wooden handles.
I think I paid twelve bucks for it, I find myself using it quite a bit.
As for it being big? You can cut some smaller things well enough to with a big knife but it's a real pain to try to slice something large with a small knife. Less effort, less meat destruction.
My brother has the slightly scimitar (curved) version in a ten inch, he's very happy with it, maybe it's time to add one more tool to the kit, hmmmm.
Just one man's opinion.

Last edited:
These long, Granton-edged knives are also a favorite of those that fillet large fish, such as our Chinook salmon.
I watched a guide make quick work of a 30# Fall Chinook in Tillamook, OR using one of these knives.

Generally, are you looking for a smooth-sided blade or one that is serrated (forgetting about the "gratton" aspect for this question)?

Reason I ask is that I've found two victorinox knives: both are 11.5" blades--one is serrated and is called a carving knife. The other is also 11.5" but has a smooth blade and is called a slicing knife. Brisket use is what I'm considering.

And then there is this; Victorinox 12-Inch Granton Edge Slicing Knife with Fibrox Handle (to further confuse me).

Call me a heathen if you want, but I use an electric knife...
Snow's BBQ uses electric knives to carve their brisket. The only problem with it is it often leaves a "feathered" looking surface on the slices that can make them look drier than they actually are. They do, however, work very well.

Back