Panic Mode with Summit S-670

Chris Stevz

Hello. After months, maybe even years of searching on Craigs list for a Weber Summit I finally found one located 5 miles from my house. The unit was a great deal, never used, sitting in someones garage -- had all accessories including an extra grate, but they said it was missing a knob. I have had nothing but a great experience with my 8 year old Genesis, but wanted to upgrade to a bigger unit and give the genesis to my Father. Showed up last night at the persons house and grill was exactly as described, all brand new, a few scratches, but nothing to complain about. The issue though is with the control for the Rotisserie burner - it wasn't just missing a knob but it was actually damaged and broken off.

So now I'm there Cash in hand and ready to move on it and had to debate if it was still worth, he wanted $1500 for an unused unit and I got him down to $1440. He said he had gotten a quote of $200 for the part, therefore I am assuming that is for the manifold. I am attaching a picture so you can see what Im talking about, he thought that the piece needed to be pulled out but it looks like it broke off. I am going to try to ignite it using a pair of pliers, but I don't think ill be able to grip it. So my question for you guys - what am I really in for getting this fixed. My friend and I are pretty handy therefore if the whole manifold needs to be replaced I should be able to get it done, but is this the reality? Appreciate all your help. Started the unit up and all burners worked perfectly but this thing is going to drive me crazy.

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:
How old of a unit is it? Seems pretty steep for a damaged grill.

Personally if I wanted a six burner and was willing to spend that much if be looking into the new Genesis they are due soon

The first thing to do would be to call Weber Customer Service and register the grill in your name. They should be able to tell you what part is needed and the cost. Having never had a Summit, can't tell you what it takes to replace the manifold if that is necessary, but removing the manifold on my Genesis 1000 was not a major problem.

Also, for posting pics, check the box at the top of the page that says "FAQ" for directions on how to post pics. It would be great to see pics of the whole grill. From just the pic of the valve, the stainless looks pristine.

Also, the value is ultimately what it is worth to you. I do know that your Dad will love the Genesis. That is a wonderful thing to do.

Thanks guys for the tips. I know I goofed on the picture, but i was in such a rush to get something on the forum about this that I just threw up the link. it's in perfect condition brand new - except for this knob issue - just have to clean some of the dust off and Ill post some pics.

It looks as though a new manifold will be in order. That being said it's not a cheap part. With Weber introducing a whole new lineup of grills it could very well be you may be able to walk into a dealer and come out with nearly the identical grill very close in price truly brand new, undamaged and with full warranty. It appears to buy the manifold will take about $250. So now you are looking at close to $1800 for this grill which you may or may not be able to warranty.
So the choice is kind of up to you. Me? Not so sure I'd be pulling the trigger here, but that's me

You do not need a whole manifold/valve assembly, just a valve. I got one of these for my Summit from Ebay for not a lot of money. I would have mailed you the one on my grill before I junked it if I knew you needed one.

Well good news is I was able to register it with Weber so I am covered under full warranty and they are shipping me the part free of charge. I should've consulted this group before spending that money on a late model grill

So now that is on its way to resolution, i haven't had a new gas grill in a long time, is there a preferred method to season it. In my WSM i ran some chicken parts in it to get it going - thoughts?

You'll see all kinds of caraziness posted by people. Just do a good "burn in". Any residual manufacturing reside will burn off. Then maybe rub the hot grates down with some cooking oil or bacon grease what have you and have at it. Enjoy it once you get it going. BTW no reason you cannot use it prior to getting the new part. Just cook away. Like the Genesis (all Weber gassers for that matter) keep the grease funnel and lower cook box on the clean side to avoid huge grease fires. I do this pretty often on all my grills.

This forum is so helpful, thanks -- i know Ive seen a lot of thoughts on the topic. Im definitely going to use it before getting the part, i have people coming over sunday (hopefully). And i completely agree on keeping it clean i do that all the time, i crack up when i go to a friends house and the thing is on fire and he can't figure out why, and I hear "this always happens" - funny. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Back