Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Local For charity Grill/BBQ contest

Nathan...

Here is something like we at the California BBQ Association use when handing out samples to people at competitions...

2 oz cups

Bob
    KCBS, CBBQA, Operation BBQ Relief

TVWBB Member
    Thanks Bob, I can hand out Jell-O shots as well....that should garner a few votes haha. I think they are going to provide cups/plates but I'm not 100% sure yet.

On another note I did get some more details today. For the people's choice contest we can serve pretty much anything we want with the stipulation we have at least 300 portions to hand out.

For the official judges competition it's more like a standard BBQ contest. They have Pork, Brisket, Chicken and Rib categories. We can enter any or all of them if we chose. I may give each category a go, it does not cost to enter so it's just the cost of the meat. I am only going to have 2-3 others helping me so it may be to hard to balance entering every category. Probably going to play it by ear.

If I enter the judges competition I'm thinking.

Roadside chicken thighs, a high heat brisket(time management), I'll enter the pork for my sliders and then maybe ribs. I'm not the best at ribs but I may as well give it a go.

They are going to provide me 2 larger Traegers and 1 Big Joe to cook on. Do you think logistically I can cook 6-8 shoulders 6-8 Chuck roasts and the entries for the judges?......might be biting off more then I can chew haha

Thanks again

Nathan...

One should enjoy their time at a competition, be they the browsing public, the judges judging the competition or the teams competing. A team's first time cooking such an event can be a challenge, time wise. Personally, unless you have practiced cooking using your developed timeline, I would give serious thoughts about it. Not saying it can't be done. Cooking all 4 meats for the judges while doing PC is a challenge for most any team. It will be about serious time management and practice beforehand.

Is this competition sanctioned ? Such as KCBS ? Reason I ask is many sanctioning body have rules regarding what can be turned in for judging.

TVWBB Member
    It's not sanctioned, the judges are 3 local celebrities.

Like you said time management would be my biggest hurdle. I think at this point it kind of depends on how many people I get to help. If it's just 3 of us I'll probably stick just to the PC and forgo the judges challenges. Might enter pork as I'll have it ready regardless. If I get a couple more helpers I may shoot for some other meats. I have a time line down for having everything done but I could only do so much myself.

I want to make sure the PC portion is taken care off before I enter anything else as that is what the event all about. Proceeds are raised by having people buy samples.

Thanks for the advice, like you said the main thing is to have fun. For me pushing myself would be fun haha, for my teammates I'm not so sure.

Nathan,

You may have already seen this site, bbqcritic . Does give you some idea of what turn-in boxes look like at a sanctioned competition. If one clicks on the box number, above each box's picture, you'll see how the 'online' judges have scored the box(s). In order to be an online judge for this particular site, one must be a certified judge.

Even though your's is not a sanctioned competition, some teams might turn in boxes as if it was.

Bob

TVWBB Member
    Thanks for the link. If I end up entering the judges competition I'll probably be luck to get anything done on time much less have it look good haha

Nathan... Whatever way you go, I would like to extend my wishes to you and your team for BBQ Excellence at the event this weekend !

Nathan, so you're going with pulled pork sliders and PSB sliders? Are you going to make 300 of each? I'm still having a hard time figuring out what I can make on 1 BGE that I can provide 300 samples of. Last night I thought about bacon wrapped pork belly, but my wife and friends were basically like "you can do better than that". They got me thinking/realizing that the other competitors i THINK are going to be a mix of backyard cooks as well as restaurant chefs promoting items from their menu, just something I have to keep in perspective I guess.
    Team Smok'd Stoopid / Armed with one 18.5 WSM, one 22.5 WSM, one 18.5 Weber Kettle w/ a broken wheel and two 22.5 Weber Kettles WoOOoO!!

TVWBB Member
    Benji, I am making PBS and pulled pork slider. The event is providing me with 3 grills. I'm kind of planning on having 400 total servings between the 2.

300 servings on one BGE sounds rough....

I think this event is going to be the same mix. I'm expecting some local restaurants and backyard smokers. Maybe some competition teams.....I'm not going into it expecting much. It's my first shot at something like this and I'll be happy if I get everything done and on time.

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bass View Post
    Nathan... Whatever way you go, I would like to extend my wishes to you and your team for BBQ Excellence at the event this weekend !
    Thank you Bob, my fingers are crossed!
    18.5" WSM, Genesis E-330, Original 22" Kettle, bells and whistles.......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast