Rotisserie for Genesis 1000

MarkMac

TVWBB Member
I picked up what I believe is the correct Rotisserie for my Genesis 1000. It's Weber 9890.

It definitely seems like the correct model as the spit rod rounded sections for the side of the firebox slots line up, and the bracket bolted on with ease.

However when i close the lid, it's resting on the spit rod and thus when I turn it on the hood goes up and down ever so slightly. It's definitely usable, but does this seem correct? I assume it's harder to turn for the motor and ultimately if will grind down the hood edge.

Ok so I should have kept tinkering before posting that. Figured it out.

The motor fits super snug on the bracket when new I guess. I pushed down harder on the motor while holding the bracket and it pushed on another 1/4" and now everything turns nice and smooth.

Just need to add chickens now.

Can I ask where you picked up your rotisserie for your 1000? I'd like to have one for mine.

I picked it up off eBay. It was brand new and still in the factory sealed package.
it worked fine for one hour and then the motor died. I read reviews online about this model and many people had the motor fail. I pulled out an old model from another grill and rigged it so it would barley turn the Weber spit rod. It wasn't ideal but worked for the last hour of cooking.

I'd look for a different model. The bad reviews were spot on from what I just experienced.

The motors are pretty universal. BroilMaster sells a rotisserie with the same motor. Look around it's a pretty common motor

Just a thought on the motor, have you taken it apart and regreased it. I bought a new in box roti off of Craigslist for my Genesis 1000 and that is what I had to do. While it was new in the box, the unopened box was probably 15 or 20 years old. Once I stripped it down and cleaned and regreased it, it worked fine. When the old grease is bad, it can cause problems like binding. Good Luck.

The motors are pretty universal. BroilMaster sells a rotisserie with the same motor. Look around it's a pretty common motor

I pulled an old one out (Brinkmann I think) and tried it mounted at first. While it fit on the bracket perfect, it is not deep enough to allow the roti spit to shift left far enough so the rounded edges fit in the firebox slots. That's when I tilted it just enough that one side of the bracket caught and it would turn the spit with the motor angled terribly. Not perfect but it worked.

I figured worst case I can pull the old motor apart and put it inside the Weber housing.

Just a thought on the motor, have you taken it apart and regreased it. I bought a new in box roti off of Craigslist for my Genesis 1000 and that is what I had to do. While it was new in the box, the unopened box was probably 15 or 20 years old. Once I stripped it down and cleaned and regreased it, it worked fine. When the old grease is bad, it can cause problems like binding. Good Luck.

Thanks. I'll pull it apart and see how it looks. You may be right, as this box looked like it sat somewhere many years, but everything inside was new. It definitely sounded like it was binding. I tapped it a few times and it started turning, but only for another minute or two.

Back