Another Hunsaker Vortex firebasket user

Greg Powers

TVWBB Super Fan
My Hunsaker Vortex basket was delivered Tuesday: Wednesday evening I put it in my 18" WSM (yes it will now fit the 18") for a trial run. With one bottom vent and the top vent at 50% it was reading 335° at the top grate per my Maverick. I closed them down to just a sliver and it settled in at 245°. Before going to bed I closed the vents and by morning the fire was out and I had most of my charcoal (Kingsford Professional) left.
Last night I tried it in the 22" WSM. The Vortex basket sits really low in the cooker and I was concerned that it wouldn't draw as it was mostly below the bottom vents, but it did just fine. Again it liked the 335° temp with the vents half open. I ended up closing all the bottom vents and with the top vent about 1/3 open it was running 275° which is what my goal is. Before going to bed I closed the vents, but when I went to check for leftover coals this morning the WSM was still warm. It was still setting at 140°! I found this very interesting as that is cold smoking temps. It also told me I need to get a gasket kit to be able to take full advantage of the set up.
I have a brisket that I'll cook tomorrow, will update then.

My Hunsaker Vortex basket was delivered Tuesday: Wednesday evening I put it in my 18" WSM (yes it will now fit the 18") for a trial run. With one bottom vent and the top vent at 50% it was reading 335° at the top grate per my Maverick. I closed them down to just a sliver and it settled in at 245°. Before going to bed I closed the vents and by morning the fire was out and I had most of my charcoal (Kingsford Professional) left.
Last night I tried it in the 22" WSM. The Vortex basket sits really low in the cooker and I was concerned that it wouldn't draw as it was mostly below the bottom vents, but it did just fine. Again it liked the 335° temp with the vents half open. I ended up closing all the bottom vents and with the top vent about 1/3 open it was running 275° which is what my goal is. Before going to bed I closed the vents, but when I went to check for leftover coals this morning the WSM was still warm. It was still setting at 140°! I found this very interesting as that is cold smoking temps. It also told me I need to get a gasket kit to be able to take full advantage of the set up.
I have a brisket that I'll cook tomorrow, will update then.

My impression was it was more for a hot and fast cooking style and really more for a UDS. I did see the Harry Soo review but it really didn't tell me anything. Post some pics!

I agree with Dustin too. I thought it was for high temperature grilling. I've only had my 22.5 WSM for about 4 months now and l have yet to adjust the top vent. 225 to 270 smoking. Am l doing something wrong?

Pictures of the Hunsaker Vortex basket in the 18.5" and 22.5" WSM
IMG_15021.jpg

IMG_15041.jpg

Yes, the basket is designed for a drum but Mark has adapted one for the WSM due to multiple requests for it.
Yes, it is designed for hot & fast cooking but they are capable of low & slow as well.
In my limited trials so far I think the Vortex basket will use much less charcoal, although that wasn't a concern for me lots of people ask about charcoal use in the 22" WSM.
I can raise the basket in my drum and grill over it, I have not tried that yet in the WSM but I'll bet it would work which makes it even more versatile.
No Jim, you're not doing anything wrong. The Vortex basket is just another tool. My goal is to take advantage of the plate to do some "direct heat", hanging ribs for competitions. I can't really say hot & fast since I was cooking ribs at 275° in my pellet pooper too.

As for how it works; I did a brisket Saturday but had trouble keeping the temp down due to air leaks. It was done in 5 hours and was OK, but it was a grass fed ungraded brisket which may or may not have made a difference.
Sunday I did a butt, this time I used aluminum foil to seal around the door and had pretty good control of the temperature. Again it was done in around 5 hours and I was very happy with the results;
IMG_15221.jpg

IMG_15231.jpg

Thanks Brian!
In Harry's review he listed these 3 things as why he likes the Vortex basket:
Keeps constants temps
Gets the sizzle effect
Drafts the hot air well

In talking to Mark Hunsaker, his biggest frustration with the WSM is what he feels is space wasted by the water pan that could be used for cooking. The Vortex plate acts as a diffuser and there are guys cooking meat that sits within a couple inches of the plate without overcooking. With that ability, one could easily add another cooking level even with where the bottom of the water pan sits. Can you picture being able to do 12 butts on one 22" WSM?

Thanks Brian!
In Harry's review he listed these 3 things as why he likes the Vortex basket:
Keeps constants temps
Gets the sizzle effect
Drafts the hot air well

In talking to Mark Hunsaker, his biggest frustration with the WSM is what he feels is space wasted by the water pan that could be used for cooking. The Vortex plate acts as a diffuser and there are guys cooking meat that sits within a couple inches of the plate without overcooking. With that ability, one could easily add another cooking level even with where the bottom of the water pan sits. Can you picture being able to do 12 butts on one 22" WSM?

You mean like this??

IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

I've kind of given up posting cooks here using the Vortex because people just don't seem to get it or its out of their comfort zone to cook any other way. Most seem to be Low n' Slow cooks and they get hung up on fuel usage or burn times. I've done Guru'd Low n Slow cooks with mine with excellent results, but Hot is how I roll.

IMG_2202.jpg

I'm planning to do some hanging ribs tomorrow, do you hang them from the 'back' or small end?
I get what you're saying but in this area the hot & fast is what is getting the calls in comps. We were consistently in the middle with the low & slow pellets so we switched to hot & fast cans and immediately started getting twice the calls. The WSM with the Vortex will be my competition rib cooker.

I'm planning to do some hanging ribs tomorrow, do you hang them from the 'back' or small end?
I get what you're saying but in this area the hot & fast is what is getting the calls in comps. We were consistently in the middle with the low & slow pellets so we switched to hot & fast cans and immediately started getting twice the calls. The WSM with the Vortex will be my competition rib cooker.

Consider a drum then!

I have 2 of Marks drums, that's what I do the big meats and chicken on. I wanted to try the WSM since I already have before trying to talk the CFO into another drum :wink:

I finally got the weber hanging rack for my 22's last night. I had to try it out today with a rack of ribs but I'm just cooking right over the coals.

Greg from your pic's of the basket on the 18.5 it looks like the Vortex sits higher than the stock charcoal ring/grate? I ask because I've been hanging chicken halves and ribs in my 18.5, the chicken wouldn't be a problem but it looks like clearance for the ribs would be. I want more capacity and I've been trying different things with the 18.5 to convince myself to keep it, would like to get the Vortex Basket but I may just sell the 18.5 and order a Hunsaker Drum.

Kevin you are correct on both counts. I'd have to measure to see just how much taller the Vortex is but it is taller. When I was getting ready to order the Weber hanger I looked at both but the lack of height on the 18" convinced me to go with the 22". IIRC there is about 17" to the top of the Vortex in the 18".

Thanks Greg I hate to sell the 18.5 because I've put casters on, replaced the water bowl with a clay saucer, CB SS door, UKBBQ lid hinge, Weber hanging kit with the PBC SS hooks and have a IQ110 for those days when I can't be around for the whole cook otherwise it's not needed. I like hanging chicken PBC style a lot, ribs are good but I think I like them on the grate with the diffuser in place a little better, I did hang 6 racks last weekend though. Getting ready to purchase a Smokin Brothers PG to help with some of my capacity issues after that I think I'm going bite the bullet and buy the Hunsaker Drum I've been eyeing them for awhile.

You made the right choice with the 22.5 hanging kit, the first time I hung ribs in the 18.5 the ends towards the coals got over cooked my last cook I made sure they weren't hung as low and they were cooked evenly.

You won't regret the Hunsaker. They are so easy to move around and the temp control is a piece of cake. If I didn't already have the 22"WSM I would have bought a 3rd Hunsaker with the rib hanger; of course I may still do that someday :rolleyes:
The UKBBQ hinge will be my next addition, along with some latches to lock the middle to the bottom, then probably casters so I can roll it in and out of the trailer.

I sold my 18" bullets but if a person were to put an 18" Cajun Bandit Stacker on their WSM and used the Weber Hanging rack for ribs, there would be no issues with the Vortex basket.

IMG_1297.jpg

Back