Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All in one

Happy to report that the competition was great. No, I did not place but I'm fine with learning and growing. The WSM was fantastic! Temps were fairly consistent and I had no trouble getting all 3 category meats done correctly. The only hitch (for me anyway) was the turn in times were later than I thought and brisket was not to be turned in until 3 pm. With a noon turn in for chicken followed by ribs at 1:30 I decided to set the brisket on the top rack for the duration while rotating ribs to chicken in the interim. Using a Cambro is new for me and I got cold feet in deciding whether to have the brisket done before the other two. But it worked out great. Fire lit at 3 am and both brisket with ribs on at 4. I normally cook at 275 and never touch the brisket for at least 4 hours. At 6:00 I wrapped the ribs, spritzed the brisket and got a little rest until 8:00. At 8 I wrapped the brisket (approx. 160 dg) and placed the ribs in the cambro. The ribs were in good shape and I knew they would need another hour to hour and a half. Chicken went on and things were going smooth. At approx. 11:15 the chicken looked good and I removed it for turn in prep. Knowing I had until 1:30 to turn in ribs I elected to leave them in the Cambro and just stay with the chicken. The brisket was doing fine and the temp was around 190. After the chicken was ready and turned in I put the ribs back on and checked the brisket. Probe tender was close. Ribs were sauced and the brisket was removed around 1:00 pm. With the brisket vented and in the Cambro I made my pick of turn in ribs, prepped the box and the cooking was officially done. At 3 pm the brisket went to the judges and I headed back for some wings and sausage to feed some family and friends. All total the WSM was hot for approx. 13 hours on one load of coals along with the wood chunks used during the smoke. I had help with a PartyQ lol! As I said not placing was a little disappointing but I feel like my time, temps and prep work are getting there. Flavor and smoke are the two areas I'll be working on now. The food was good but I think for competition level that the flavor needed a bit more pop. It's not hard for me to believe that judges off the street can get a bit bored with sweet and heat while tasting dozens of boxes. Thank you all for the information. As soon as I can get a format to post some pics I will. Thank you again! Love the WSM!!!
    TroyS
    Smokin' STARS BBQ

That's awesome! I did my first comp a few weeks ago and the education was huge. I've read a bunch of 'all in one' info but wasn't brave enough to try. I ended up bringing my 18 and my 22 wsm with a 22 kettle for chicken. Mission accomplished though, I didn't come in last.
    18"WSM, 22.5"WSM, 14.5" WSM, '03 22.5"OTPlat, 22.5"OTGold, Performer Premium, GoAnywhere charcoal, Smokey Joe, BBQGuru ATC

Glad to hear it went so well Troy. Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Fields View Post
    That's awesome! I did my first comp a few weeks ago and the education was huge. I've read a bunch of 'all in one' info but wasn't brave enough to try. I ended up bringing my 18 and my 22 wsm with a 22 kettle for chicken. Mission accomplished though, I didn't come in last.
    Sounds like a good time just the same. It's definitely easier with more equipment. Good luck with future comps.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Fong View Post
    Glad to hear it went so well Troy. Congratulations!
    Thank you Donna!
    TroyS
    Smokin' STARS BBQ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12