Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All in one

All in one

Interested in using my WSM 22.5 for an upcoming comp which will be comprised of ribs, brisket and chicken. Has anyone or is anyone familiar with this approach? I think between sound coordination of my times and using a Cambro that it might be feasible but just the same any advice or info is welcome.
    TroyS
    Smokin' STARS BBQ

TVWBB Super Fan
    Naughty Nurses BBQ
    A Mini, 14, 18 & 22" WSMs, Ranch Kettle, Performer, pair of 3 wheelers

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Powers View Post
    got it, thanks
    TroyS
    Smokin' STARS BBQ

Here's another article by Harry's partner-in-crime Donna Fong: http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2014/1...by-donna-fong/

Donna did all four meats in a 14.5" WSM. You'll find some good info in the article if you read carefully.

I think Harry has cooked a number of contests using only one 18.5" WSM, but his usual setup is two 18.5" WSMs. Using one 22.5" WSM should be very doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allingham View Post
    Here's another article by Harry's partner-in-crime Donna Fong: http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2014/1...by-donna-fong/

Donna did all four meats in a 14.5" WSM. You'll find some good info in the article if you read carefully.

I think Harry has cooked a number of contests using only one 18.5" WSM, but his usual setup is two 18.5" WSMs. Using one 22.5" WSM should be very doable.
    Yes, it is very doable.
    I use a 16 - 18 lb brisket in contest and it goes in around midnight into 250F-275F WSM, and comes out around 9 am (for 1:30 pm turnin; just keep the brisket warm wrapped in blanket in an igloo).
    Ribs go in at 7:30 am @ 275F and are done by noon.
    Chicken goes in 9:40 am @275F WSM and is done by 11:40 (for 12 pm turn-in).
    Brisket goes on top grate and ribs go into a rib rack on bottom grate.
    When the brisket is done, move the ribs to top rack and place raw chicken on bottom rack.
    Best of luck and post pics at https://www.facebook.com/SlapYoDaddyBBQ/

Regards,
    Harry
    Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Soo View Post
    Yes, it is very doable.
    I use a 16 - 18 lb brisket in contest and it goes in around midnight into 250F-275F WSM, and comes out around 9 am (for 1:30 pm turnin; just keep the brisket warm wrapped in blanket in an igloo).
    Ribs go in at 7:30 am @ 275F and are done by noon.
    Chicken goes in 9:40 am @275F WSM and is done by 11:40 (for 12 pm turn-in).
    Brisket goes on top grate and ribs go into a rib rack on bottom grate.
    When the brisket is done, move the ribs to top rack and place raw chicken on bottom rack.
    Best of luck and post pics at https://www.facebook.com/SlapYoDaddyBBQ/

Regards,
    Harry
    Thank you for the response Harry I really appreciate it. I'll post some pics after the competition next month.
    TroyS
    Smokin' STARS BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allingham View Post

Thank you Chris! Much appreciated.
    TroyS
    Smokin' STARS BBQ

I think one of the keys to making it work is being able to correctly predict when your meats will be done and adjust your temperature, or meats, or placement of meat accordingly. Understanding that if you load up with more meat than usual, you will likely slow your cooking process is important. So adjust by giving yourself more time, higher temps, or trim your meats down can be helpful. Best of luck! Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Fong View Post
    I think one of the keys to making it work is being able to correctly predict when your meats will be done and adjust your temperature, or meats, or placement of meat accordingly. Understanding that if you load up with more meat than usual, you will likely slow your cooking process is important. So adjust by giving yourself more time, higher temps, or trim your meats down can be helpful. Best of luck! Donna
    I do plan to trim ahead of time and start earlier with both fire building as well as cooking. The time line that Harry laid out is very close to mine but my temps will run closer to 275. With that said, I am going to arrange my cook in near fashion and utilize the Cambro as a buffer for temp preservation. My brisket time/temp usually runs approx 7 to 8 hours for a 14lb cut. Ribs are usually in the 5 hour range and I've done chicken several times inside of 2.5 hours. Hopefully I'll do enough prep work which allows me to focus on keeping the temps stable and letting the Weber do it's thing. Thank you Donna for the information. I sincerely appreciate you guys.
    TroyS
    Smokin' STARS BBQ

Of course. We are always happy to help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast