Best Probe Thermometer???

Josh W.

What do you guys think is the best probe thermometer for the money? I was leaning toward the Polder 602-90. Any other suggestions or past experiences?

The Thermapen is the best - http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/tpen_home.html

If you are looking at wired/wirless probes, I like the Nu-Temp. You can still get a deal - Nu Temp TVWB

Durability is the key. For a little more get the new waterproof Thermapen.

-------------------------------
There are few places you need to know the temperature when you are using a WSM. Have you read this section? measuring temperatures

There is the temperature of the WSM, measured at various places(lid, grate or middle section). The other is the temperature of your meat. The Polder you mentioned can be used for any of the places, but many use two, one for both cooking temperature and meat temperature.

They will all do the job, it's a matter of cost, convenience and durability.

I've been using the thermoworks probe, since I ditched my maverick. I burnt the probes on it and never go around to replacing them. I bought the thermoworks with an extra probe so I can switch the unit back and forth to check multiple meats. Most companies are kind of a pain to order extra probes, with thermoworks its all on their site.

also check out the mtc. I have one of them with a wired needle probe. it beats the heck out of the bi-metal probes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks for all the info/recommendations guys. I'm really liking the thermoworks thermometers. They look to be well built especially this probe :

Smoke House Penetration Probe - Stainless Armour </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

keep in mind that it is just a probe, you will still need to purchase the actual thermometer.

I have the mtc with the miniature needle probe. together they cost about the same as the thermapen but I can leave it in while smoking since the wire is resistant to 482*F. My plan is to add the smoke house probe to my arsenal in due time.

right now I mostly use the mtc for grilling and, just to be safe, rely on this guy for smoking until I get the smoke house probe.

Back