The Case of the Shifty Shaker

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes I get an idea stuck in my head that I just can't shake...shaker...rub shaker...

Many months ago (a couple of years ago?), I learned that Harry Soo had recommended a particular rub shaker made by Cambro. Here's a link to it on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004NEWBRO/tvwb-20

Every time I looked at it, it was priced at something like $30. What the @#*&? I would look at the listing closely and they're asking $30 + $5 shipping. Is this for a dozen shakers? No, for one shaker.

Of course, I'm not stupid enough to buy a $35 shaker. This must be a case of some joker on Amazon trying to take advantage of anyone who really, really, REALLY wants this thing and is willing to pay any price. That's not me, so I don't buy one.

But...I keep checking occasionally, maybe once every 3-4 months. It's still outrageously priced. Who cares, I'm not interested. Unless it's a really good shaker. I like that the lid pops off and doesn't screw on. Oh, never mind, what a joke.

A few more months pass. Someone's selling for $40 + $6 shipping. Can it get any worse? Holy cow, this is ridiculous. It's just a little shaker. Maybe it's been discontinued, maybe that's why it's so expensive. Maybe I can find one at Restaurant Depot. I go and check and they don't have it. I go to a serious restaurant supply store and they don't have it...but they can order a dozen for me if I want. No, thank you.

Many more months pass. Of course I check again. This time...oh my goodness...this time there's one for sale...one...sold by Amazon LLC, not some obscure third-party...for $9.40. Not $40. Not $30. Under $10. I've got to order it! I've got to have it!

I log into my wife's Amazon account, since she's the one with Prime, and I place the order. Yipee! Order is accepted, estimated arrival is two days away. Now I wait patiently...and the order gets cancelled. "We're sorry to inform you that we are unable to fulfill your recent order." Rats.

Gloom, despair, and agony on me. Deep dark depression, excessive misery. 10 bonus points if you know that reference without looking it up on the InterWeb.

A few days pass. The sting of disappointment has subsided. I go back onto Amazon to check the listing again...had it all been just a dream?...and that same Cambro shaker is still listed for $9.40, only one in stock. The "Add to Cart" button is taunting me...click me, I dare you...so I did. This time I added the shaker to my own shopping cart, paying the $5 in shipping, and checked out.

And miracle of miracles, the order went through AND I got a USPS tracking ID. OMG! The thing shipped. Oh, happy day!!

Today, this long, strange trip came to an end. I found a small box on my front porch. And here's what it contained:

IMG_7404_zpszzy2ipyn.jpg

The elusive Cambro 96SKRC 10 oz Capacity, Camwear Polycarbonate Shaker/Dredge with Yellow Cheese Lid.

My precious. I will hug him and pet him and squeeze him...another 20 bonus points if you know both these references without looking them up on the InterWeb.

So...what will be my next obsession? I'm not sure, but in the meantime, it's time to mix up some rub and take this baby for a test drive. :)

Won't say anything, except this.

ADDED 9/23/2016 : I RECOMMEND : DO NOT order this item from KaTom. I should have done my due diligence before suggesting them.

Last edited:
Well, I never saw that seller during the many months I was tracking this item. They want $11.04 for shipping, so not a bad deal overall. I didn't mention that I found it at a place called Zesco.com and they sold it for $3.09 but wanted $17 for UPS 7-day shipping! No, thank you.

Of course, now that I've got one, I'm seeing a lot of unfamiliar looking Google search results with places selling this shaker for cheap. Maybe I was too fixated on Amazon. :confused:

I do feel your pain Chris. I also was looking for the same thing with the same results. This is what I ordered. $9.55 with prime shipping. Ordered 2 and am very happy with them. As for fixated on Amazon, that free shipping has saved me a lot of money. Would I rather go to a store locally, YES!!! Unfortunately, the internet as made that problematic.

And here I just drilled a bunch of holes in a mason jar lid.

Add a second lid over the top of that one and your shaker becomes storage, less dishes!

Several different ones on Amazon from $6.49 (add on item) to a set of 6 for $19.95.
most have the 3 different lids, and all look like the Cambro model to me.

search Polycarbonate dredge shaker

Hee haw. (Chris knows what I mean.) And a Bugs Bunny cartoon (I think).

Last edited:
Yes to the "Hee Haw" reference but the second was from one of the other "Looney Tunes" characters from a spoof of "Of Mice and Men" the large cat was going to "hug him and squeeze him and call him George!"
Interesting, it's a popular saying around here with my grand daughter and at pretty much anytime we find something we want!
We are a strange group though.

Well, I never saw that seller during the many months I was tracking this item. They want $11.04 for shipping, so not a bad deal overall. I didn't mention that I found it at a place called Zesco.com and they sold it for $3.09 but wanted $17 for UPS 7-day shipping! No, thank you.

Of course, now that I've got one, I'm seeing a lot of unfamiliar looking Google search results with places selling this shaker for cheap. Maybe I was too fixated on Amazon. :confused:
That fixation is shared at our home too.
Heck, Cambros main office is but a 30 minute drive, in Huntington Beach. But they don't sell direct, only through their distribution chain beginning with area reps. Our's is in Orange, while the Northern California one is in Sacramento.

Yes to the "Hee Haw" reference but the second was from one of the other "Looney Tunes" characters from a spoof of "Of Mice and Men" the large cat was going to "hug him and squeeze him and call him George!"
Interesting, it's a popular saying around here with my grand daughter and at pretty much anytime we find something we want!
We are a strange group though.

There was an almost identical line in a Bugs Bunny / Daffy Duck cartoon, where an abominable snowman caught Daffy (disguised as a rabbit) and said "I will name him George and I will hug him and pet him and squeeze him", so I still claim my 20 bonus points. ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArNz8U7tgU4&index=10&list=PLz6L8Xh1_zpdgjihH6c1teOQRG47m-Zvp

Lowry's seasoned salt containers are excellent for rubs. Not as pretty as the Cambro, but the lid makes it nice to keep it fresh.
I've used old rub and seasoning shakers for years, they work great. But I still had to have this Cambro! :confused:

Bob, thanks for the link...
I did order this from KATOM for $2.65 PLUS $13.56 shipping....
and this is what i received 10 days after ordering...

ezs_X7gw0ErQraOSsvWuvOazP374KnpCfv6wvDkD3AgyBVnz4bcIq8Z_v2AhsPjyzSRgZNf8EAnBbg4AHxDTY92saprLssHQTE8pVCQDHI2SUX8Re-O4Gr9lxpmHmcDQr5KpG45wR2SLJhQVhn6Rn7haFFhJNDi_PNfoDZrAMISy1swqtG9jwQSTje-54CEFgpwUBv8lhoAiMEDF26A6RG6FOyO7dJiFIwe_ypPfcj4f0LiobEO_nFai9pLahWRsXxGfq4C9d6T7kHCNqgBrmErqMGZReh53HpvxrZxrbNcvE_C999JqzBDURRM9PWtatT9Kkwzo04kN9eqZCr_I_8MluzpcdgJ1rRPnmoPXLwyBeVvwcHrf48ASRrGfrQTkSByS3CPKD3YqLKAiI2AbwzY-DzVkgTFmdpqPaXb4dMP1k5s5nY2ObRT5mfQRGrCXss8yp2a6Hrjc0Irhwb-06Ur0DwG-y1vdjr3ZBNRANnQXXqyahU11X6KlO39nRJXTFrvLBJnEW-Xtq54xhN7qcZiCMYpN40CPAtcPSwWHcp0tYRXhHJOdGTltpa48ucnV80D7JCJzuzkSLp8m1T3yaIwjVSaTJwaYDFmmS8ZaDe5lhzJ76Q=w640-h480-no

please do not ask what it is, i have no #@$&ing idea. And the "lady" on the phone insisted that this IS what i ordered...
when it clearly states on my paid-order email that i ordered one:

Cambro 96SKRC135 Description

The Cambro 96SKRC135 Camwear® dredge comes with a color-coded cheese lid that makes identifying the shaker's contents simple. The jar is made of polycarbonate, which is durable and clear, allowing the user to easily see when a refill is needed. When it is time for a refill, the unthreaded lid pops on and off easily with an included tab. The jar features a handle to make using the dredge comfortable, and it is dishwasher safe to make cleaning simple in a commercial kitchen.
Product Details

• 10-oz dredge with cheese lid
  • Jar is made of clear polycarbonate
  • Lid is color-coded to make identification simple
  • Handle helps user maintain a comfortable grip
  • Dishwasher safe
  • Non-threaded lids pop off for refilling
Camwear Shaker/Dredge with cheese Lid, 10 oz., polycarbonate, clear, dishwasher safe.

So, now please excuse me while i find my Friday Attitude Adjustment Cure.

Jim,

Sorry about the mess up. Totally understand the deserved attitude. I thought they were ok to order through. My BIG Mistake.

Sounds like it's time for some "KATOM Rip Off Artists" postings on various websites.

Not sure it can help, but I live approx 30 minutes from the Cambro corporate offices. They very well may want to know about this transaction and how a supplier of their products is treating buyers of Cambro products. Let me know if I can help in any way. I'll send my info to you via PM.

Bob

Reminds me of a few years back, a member on Pentax Forums found a nice deal from Overstock on a Pentax lens.
Some members jumped on it (not me) and they received an 18.5 lb ceiling fan instead of an 8 oz lens, and had a heck of a time getting things sorted out with Overstock.

Chris got me interested in these shakers, or ones like them, so I did some searching around.
Found a seller on eBay, bought one, it's very nice, I'll probably buy another one or two.
I like having lids with different size holes.
4 of them for $16.19 including shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-10-Ounce-...347229?hash=item2117456f5d:g:ojoAAOSwubRXM0~L

or 1 for $5.77 including shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Ounce-Po...061315?hash=item2cb2c8be03:g:5HQAAOSwYmZXM4Af

I'm not affiliated with the seller.

Jim...

That is a Cambro Drain Shelve. Depending upon the size, it could be one of these part numbers (from Cambro's 2014 catalog)

10CWD
20LPCWD
20CWD
30CWD
40CWD
60CWD
90CWD

All are found on Cambro's "Camwear Polycarbonate Food Pans" catalog page.

Page 151 on Cambro's current 2016 catalog, viewable and downloadable from the Cambro website.

Last edited:

Back