Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Case of the Shifty Shaker

The Case of the Shifty Shaker

Sometimes I get an idea stuck in my head that I just can't shake...shaker...rub shaker...

Many months ago (a couple of years ago?), I learned that Harry Soo had recommended a particular rub shaker made by Cambro. Here's a link to it on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...NEWBRO/tvwb-20

Every time I looked at it, it was priced at something like $30. What the @#*&? I would look at the listing closely and they're asking $30 + $5 shipping. Is this for a dozen shakers? No, for one shaker.

Of course, I'm not stupid enough to buy a $35 shaker. This must be a case of some joker on Amazon trying to take advantage of anyone who really, really, REALLY wants this thing and is willing to pay any price. That's not me, so I don't buy one.

But...I keep checking occasionally, maybe once every 3-4 months. It's still outrageously priced. Who cares, I'm not interested. Unless it's a really good shaker. I like that the lid pops off and doesn't screw on. Oh, never mind, what a joke.

A few more months pass. Someone's selling for $40 + $6 shipping. Can it get any worse? Holy cow, this is ridiculous. It's just a little shaker. Maybe it's been discontinued, maybe that's why it's so expensive. Maybe I can find one at Restaurant Depot. I go and check and they don't have it. I go to a serious restaurant supply store and they don't have it...but they can order a dozen for me if I want. No, thank you.

Many more months pass. Of course I check again. This time...oh my goodness...this time there's one for sale...one...sold by Amazon LLC, not some obscure third-party...for $9.40. Not $40. Not $30. Under $10. I've got to order it! I've got to have it!

I log into my wife's Amazon account, since she's the one with Prime, and I place the order. Yipee! Order is accepted, estimated arrival is two days away. Now I wait patiently...and the order gets cancelled. "We're sorry to inform you that we are unable to fulfill your recent order." Rats.

Gloom, despair, and agony on me. Deep dark depression, excessive misery. 10 bonus points if you know that reference without looking it up on the InterWeb.

A few days pass. The sting of disappointment has subsided. I go back onto Amazon to check the listing again...had it all been just a dream?...and that same Cambro shaker is still listed for $9.40, only one in stock. The "Add to Cart" button is taunting me...click me, I dare you...so I did. This time I added the shaker to my own shopping cart, paying the $5 in shipping, and checked out.

And miracle of miracles, the order went through AND I got a USPS tracking ID. OMG! The thing shipped. Oh, happy day!!

Today, this long, strange trip came to an end. I found a small box on my front porch. And here's what it contained:

The elusive Cambro 96SKRC 10 oz Capacity, Camwear Polycarbonate Shaker/Dredge with Yellow Cheese Lid.

My precious. I will hug him and pet him and squeeze him...another 20 bonus points if you know both these references without looking them up on the InterWeb.

So...what will be my next obsession? I'm not sure, but in the meantime, it's time to mix up some rub and take this baby for a test drive.

Won't say anything, except this.

ADDED 9/23/2016 : I RECOMMEND : DO NOT order this item from KaTom. I should have done my due diligence before suggesting them.
    Last edited by Bob Bass; 09-23-2016 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Follow Up information....
    KCBS, SCA, Operation BBQ Relief

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bass View Post
    Won't say anything, except this.
    Well, I never saw that seller during the many months I was tracking this item. They want $11.04 for shipping, so not a bad deal overall. I didn't mention that I found it at a place called Zesco.com and they sold it for $3.09 but wanted $17 for UPS 7-day shipping! No, thank you.

Of course, now that I've got one, I'm seeing a lot of unfamiliar looking Google search results with places selling this shaker for cheap. Maybe I was too fixated on Amazon.

I do feel your pain Chris. I also was looking for the same thing with the same results. This is what I ordered. $9.55 with prime shipping. Ordered 2 and am very happy with them. As for fixated on Amazon, that free shipping has saved me a lot of money. Would I rather go to a store locally, YES!!! Unfortunately, the internet as made that problematic.
    2013 WSM 22.5 , 2008 C&B Performer 22.5 , 96 Genesis 1000 Redhead , 1995 Smokey Joe , 2 HeaterMeters, Vortex

And here I just drilled a bunch of holes in a mason jar lid.

Add a second lid over the top of that one and your shaker becomes storage, less dishes!
    Blue Performer 22 WSM

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    Cooking a steak to well done is like killing the bovine twice.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    Several different ones on Amazon from $6.49 (add on item) to a set of 6 for $19.95.
    most have the 3 different lids, and all look like the Cambro model to me.

search Polycarbonate dredge shaker
    Cooking a steak to well done is like killing the bovine twice.

Hee haw. (Chris knows what I mean.) And a Bugs Bunny cartoon (I think).
    Last edited by Larry D.; 09-13-2016 at 09:28 AM.
    "If we took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy, would it?"
    18.5 WSM | 22.5 OTG (green) | 22.5 Kettle (OTS, black)

Yes to the "Hee Haw" reference but the second was from one of the other "Looney Tunes" characters from a spoof of "Of Mice and Men" the large cat was going to "hug him and squeeze him and call him George!"
    Interesting, it's a popular saying around here with my grand daughter and at pretty much anytime we find something we want!
    We are a strange group though.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allingham View Post
    Well, I never saw that seller during the many months I was tracking this item. They want $11.04 for shipping, so not a bad deal overall. I didn't mention that I found it at a place called Zesco.com and they sold it for $3.09 but wanted $17 for UPS 7-day shipping! No, thank you.

Of course, now that I've got one, I'm seeing a lot of unfamiliar looking Google search results with places selling this shaker for cheap. Maybe I was too fixated on Amazon.
    That fixation is shared at our home too.
    Heck, Cambros main office is but a 30 minute drive, in Huntington Beach. But they don't sell direct, only through their distribution chain beginning with area reps. Our's is in Orange, while the Northern California one is in Sacramento.
    KCBS, SCA, Operation BBQ Relief

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast