Grill Brush Bristle Danger Reminder

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I think we've all heard of the possible danger from grill cleaning brushes with bristles that can get stuck to the grill, then the food.
Since I use the Weber ones that are wrapped, not protruding out of a base, I thought they would be safe, but....

Recently a nut fell off one side of my Performer's lid holder.
I figured no problem finding it in the ashes with a magnet.
Well I didn't find the nut, what I did find was several small pieces of brush bristles.
I'm guessing they were little broken off ends from the brush wearing down.
Probably not large enough to do harm, but I'm sticking with scraping or using the woven steel scrub type pads from now on, like these:

BGE-Grill-Scrubber-Pads-408.jpg

I agree Bob.

I use the Billy Bar, then a ball of aluminium foil to clean my grates.
The Billy bar is brilliant, best grate cleaner ever!

Funny I was looking at the 5 scrubbers I have and started wondering where the bristle that had worn down went, now I think I know.

That's starting to freak me out too. All I do now is really keep an eye out for them. I've not worried about it for years and suddenly it's a thing. I guess I'll need to switch out my brushes, but there's a reason why people use the wire brush type. It's because they work really well.

A few years ago I had one of the cheap brushes cleaned the grill did some bbq chicken and low and behold ended up with a small brush piece in my gum. Didn't even feel it with I was eating it was a few days later.

The Billy Bar is slick. When they first came out, I knew I had something in the garage that would work. A dandelion puller was one, but I use a 1/4" open end wrench.

Tim

The Billy Bar is slick. When they first came out, I knew I had something in the garage that would work. A dandelion puller was one, but I use a 1/4" open end wrench.

Tim
I knew that Billy Bar reminded me of some tool, was thinking nail puller, but Bingo! weed puller.
Maybe use a rat tail file to round out the groove.

I agree Bob.

I use the Billy Bar, then a ball of aluminium foil to clean my grates.
The Billy bar is brilliant, best grate cleaner ever!

Tony,
Where did you get it??
Outside USA ?
Seems they don't ship outside USA
Enrico.

These are only available in the USA as far as I'm aware.
A TVWBB member was kind enough to act as an agent for me, & sent me one of each size.
I'm sure someone here will help you out.

I have used a big pumice bar for a flattop a few times and it worked very nicely, I like the wrench/weed puller idea though.

I really like the wrench idea Timothy! I think I will take one down to my buddy's wood shop and make a handle for one, maybe not. Simple is best.

$50?? Insane!!
I got both sizes sent to me, to the UK, from the US for $59....total. The guy should be wearing a mask.....robbery!
The Billy Bar is excellent. My wire brushes are now residing in the land-fill site!

Oh yeah, Happy Birthday Chris.

$50?? Insane!!
I got both sizes sent to me, to the UK, from the US for $59....total. The guy should be wearing a mask.....robbery!
The Billy Bar is excellent. My wire brushes are now residing in the land-fill site!

Oh yeah, Happy Birthday Chris.

Thank you, Tony! :)

$50 is robbery, but at least the seller discloses as much in their store name: Hungry Piranha

This is my favorite BBQ brush. The wires never come out of these, because there's no pockets stuffed with bristles, the wires are wrapped in twisted metal. Not the longest lasting brush, but a dang good brush. Home Depot has them for < $10

306493_630x440_b.jpg

But, the bristles will still fatigue and break. I see what you like about them and it's completely valid but, I'm going to take a look at my "old wrench" inventory! Until I find my 18 WSM for next to nothing, I'm going ultra cheap.

Back