Genesis Silver C - Resto

Okay, so I got a bit overzealous and posted a bunch of pics of my new acquisition in the “Introduce Yourself” thread, instead of here.

As a major gearhead I appreciate great tools, and have actually made a few myself. I’ve always wanted the best barbequing tool (a Weber Grill) but always gagged at the price.

Funny though, for what I’ve spent on cheap knock offs I could have purchased a Weber, and it would have still been going strong!

The one I have now (a Sam’s Club Special) frustrates the heck out of me due to its very uneven cooking characteristics, to the point where I avoid using it!

So, the other day I’m on my way home and I spot a Weber in a pile of junk on the side of the road, about a half mile from where I live. I backed up, pulled in the driveway, and as I approached the garage a very nice woman emerged. As I inquired about “the grill” she said anything I want is mine for the taking.

I asked her to hold the grill for me as I’d be right back with my trailer to pick it up.

Turned out to be a very nice Weber Genesis Silver “C”! It was filthy dirty and in need of some TLC, but it’s a dream come true for me, as for $100.00 - $200.00, and some labor on my part, I will ultimately have a grill that would cost about 10 times that to purchase new today.

The following parts need replacement:

1. Warming Rack
2. Swinging Warm Up Basket
3. Flavorizer Bars
4. Burner Crossover Pipe
5. One of the Swivel Casters

The following additional parts would be nice to replace for a “Like New” result

1. Burner pipes (all 3)
2. “Weber” Wheels
3. Cooking Grates
4. Cabinet Door Magnets

With respect to the cooking grates, not sure if I should stick with the Porcelinized C.I. (PCI) or go with S.S. My thought is to stick with the CI because it holds more heat, but I’d appreciate some feedback from those with experience here, both for or against.

Planning a “Complete” resto, which in my mind means taking it down to every last nut and bolt, replacing any/all hardware with S.S. and thoroughly cleaning and refinishing everything.

Here are the “Before” pics:

Overall great but just pretty filthy and in need of the typical sacrificial parts.

Emblem is in great shape!

So, I'll keep everyone posted with more pics as I tear it down, and complete the restoration process. ...........

Regards,
GT

You will enjoy the process and the pleasure of bringing it back to "new". As for grates and flavorizer bars, check out RCPlanebuyer on EBay. He has SS flavorizer bars and grills for Weber products and they will last a lifetime. He is the goto source for really good stainless. When you factor in the like of his stuff, the price is cheap. Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it a second time. Did I see rust or dirt between the control panel and the grill?

You will love that grill when you are done. Congrats on a great find and for free besides.

All the parts your looking at are available, personally I prefer cast iron over SS for the grates, but that's just me.

Do yourself a big favor and at least get the SS flavorizer bars from rcplanebuyer and you will never need to get another set.

Also parts for the side burner are hard to come by so use caution when cleaning it.

When you take the burners out don't try to take out the screws that appear to hold them in at the end of the burner you will snap them off. The burner tubes will slide out from under them as they are just more like locating lugs and not holding them in. You may have to get some of the crud out first but they will slide right out.

One last thing the warming racks rust almost instantly you may want to just clean up the ones you have.

From what I see in the pictures you've got a winner there well worth restoring.

Last edited:
My Silver B ...before and after with GrillGrates under the hood. Just take your time..lots of elbow grease,paint and a few parts.

If you go with stainless grates the RCPlanebuyer are top notch and you'll get ALL the "performance" of cast iron with non of the headaches of CI. He also spaces the bars tightly enough to keep the food from falling through. I'm pretty sure he sells the stuff (bars and grates) on Fleabay without having to do custom ordering. Just do a buy it now and he sends the stuff. His heavy stainless grates will not set you back much more than Weber CI ones and they'll be able to bury you with his they'll last that well. I also would not even bother with the warming rack and basket. Mine came with them and I took them off. They just get in the way IMO

Do you put the grill grates on top of the CI grates? Or just use the grill grates alone?

If you go with stainless grates the RCPlanebuyer are top notch and you'll get ALL the "performance" of cast iron with non of the headaches of CI. He also spaces the bars tightly enough to keep the food from falling through. I'm pretty sure he sells the stuff (bars and grates) on Fleabay without having to do custom ordering. Just do a buy it now and he sends the stuff. His heavy stainless grates will not set you back much more than Weber CI ones and they'll be able to bury you with his they'll last that well. I also would not even bother with the warming rack and basket. Mine came with them and I took them off. They just get in the way IMO

I see your point on the cast iron grates vs. SS and I keep forgetting that you folks who live in the rust belts of the country are better off with SS. Here in AZ rust is not allowed! My CI grates on my 1999 2000LX are 11 years old and never seasoned and look and cook Like new, same with my 2009 E320.
I've bought Rcplanebuyers SS grates and shipped them to Steve in Australia so I am familiar with them, they are very well made and very heavy. If I was to go to SS I would only buy his.

What about anodized aluminum?

I see your point on the cast iron grates vs. SS and I keep forgetting that you folks who live in the rust belts of the country are better off with SS. Here in AZ rust is not allowed! My CI grates on my 1999 2000LX are 11 years old and never seasoned and look and cook Like new, same with my 2009 E320.
I've bought Rcplanebuyers SS grates and shipped them to Steve in Australia so I am familiar with them, they are very well made and very heavy. If I was to go to SS I would only buy his.

Has anybody had experience with anodized aluminum grates called GrillGrate and sold on the BBQGuys.com website as well as other places. They seem like a really cool way to improve the grilling experience with less flare ups and great grill marks. I am thinking about using a set that fits in my upcoming older Genesis renovation. Any thoughts?

Has anybody had experience with anodized aluminum grates called GrillGrate and sold on the BBQGuys.com website as well as other places. They seem like a really cool way to improve the grilling experience with less flare ups and great grill marks. I am thinking about using a set that fits in my upcoming older Genesis renovation. Any thoughts?

OMO gimmick at best. If you look at a CharBroil (what they call infrared) or the newer NexGrill products with what they call infrared you'll see what GG do is basically the same thing made out of a piece of stamped aluminum. If you're a lazy griller I guess they're great (no pun intended) but if you think about professional cooks when they want to sear they do it on cast iron, mild steel or stainless steel never aluminum. The GG have little slits cut between each raised area supposedly allowing smoke through. Do they work? yeah when brand new. Eventually they just clog up with grease and carbon and what you're left with is a basic aluminum griddle with ridges. IMO that ain't "grilling". Your best grates will be cast iron (either bare or porcelain enameled) or heavy stainless steel bar type i.e. what RCPlanebuyer makes or equivalent. They are easy to maintain nothing to clog and preserve your grill as a TRUE grill. I don't know if they fit but if you like the GG idea check to see if Charbroil grates will fit. IMO they would perform better

On my 2000-vintage Silver B, I started with the original OEM SS grates. Very good. Then went to the heavy OEM PECI grates, which I liked better. Then went to the aluminum GrillGrates, which I like the best -- by far.

Maybe it makes my Weber gasser a Charbroil, and therefore no longer a so-called "true grill." Maybe I'm a lazy griller. Whatev -- I like my gasser the most with the GGs.

"The GG have little slits cut between each raised area supposedly allowing smoke through. Do they work? yeah when brand new. Eventually they just clog up with grease and carbon and what you're left with is a basic aluminum griddle with ridges. IMO that ain't "grilling"."

My slit holes are still unclogged and working after about 18 months of grilling. One scrape (which takes approximately 7 seconds) with the grate tool that comes with the GGs keeps the valleys clean and clear.

YMMV.

You might as well just throw a cast iron grill pan on it. Really that is all you have now except made of aluminum. It's kinda like when you do ribs with the texas crutch (wrapping in foil). Are they good? Sure they taste good. Are they the best? Far from it. Grilling/bbqing takes some effort. Heck just the other night I did a slab using a quick smoke (45 min) in the Summit than used a roaster with some liquid and a rack in it, put the ribs in there and covered tight with foil. Yeah I made "good" ribs but they were not GREAT ribs. Maybe the grill grate crutch like any other has it's place but they're not worth one dime of my $$$$. When you have a PROPERLY working and set up grill you don't need crutches except for short cuts

You might as well cook inside on your gas stove.

Since the purists would never think of using a gas grill. Since that would be considered a cheat/crutch vs. wood or charcoal...

: )

I guess it is "to each his own". I don't think I would ever want a GG but I have heard good things about them. But, I wouldn't balk at throwing a cast iron pan or griddle on the gasser to fry up some bacon or eggs or whatever.

I have used a Q100 for many years and just this last spring, I rehabbed a Genesis 1000 and have cooked a whole lot of stuff on it...much of it non-typical stuff. Smoked fish, rotisserie chickens, Rotisserie turkey, spatchcock turkey, buffalo chicken wings, smash burgers. Not to mention steaks, hamburgers, bratwurst, pork chops, etc....

Regardless of what you cook or how you cook it in your grill, it always beats the kitchen oven.

Back