SWMBO Wants Finishing Sauce For Vortex Chicken

Bob Ivey

TVWBB Emerald Member
We really love the chicken from the Performer with the Vortex. Comes out moist and very flavorful. The only issue is that my wife wants me do use a finishing sauce on the chicken. I have never been on to use finishing sauce on much of anything but for her I am willing to try. The first thought was a OTC BBQ sauce but I don't think that would go over well. I could really use some suggestions on this. Preferably something that I could make to allow for fine tuning but open to everything. Thanks for any help.

My old comp trick - dissolve 1/4 cup brown sugar in 1 cup boiling water, stir in your seasonings of choice 1 tsp at a time to taste, let it cool and spritz it on right at the end of the cook with a spray bottle. Put the lid down and check it every 10 minutes or so until sticky and caramelized to your wife's liking.

Bob,

This one is one of our favorites. Easy to make and great on chicken or pork.

Orange Ginger Sauce.

1/2 cup orange marmalade
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1/8 teaspoon black pepper.

In a small saucepan over medium heat , mix the sauce ingredients. Cook the sauce until liquefied and bubbling,
3-4 minuets, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and allow it to reach room temperature before serving.

This sounds good Rich. Might have to cut the ginger a bit though. When I cook Chinese, she always complains about how much ginger I use. This sounds sweet with a little kick. Thanks Rich

Bob,

This one is one of our favorites. Easy to make and great on chicken or pork.

Orange Ginger Sauce.

1/2 cup orange marmalade
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1/8 teaspoon black pepper.

In a small saucepan over medium heat , mix the sauce ingredients. Cook the sauce until liquefied and bubbling,
3-4 minuets, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and allow it to reach room temperature before serving.

Hi Bob, I like this plumb glaze on chicken. It's simple and very good!

I'm glad you posted this request. I haven't the glaze in a long time, and I'm going to have to make it again!

1/2 cup plum jam
1/2 cup red wine (or 1/4 cup grape juice and 1/4 cup water)
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper (or less if you don't want it too hot)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Put all ingredients in a sauce pan and whisk to mix. Heat over medium heat until the mixture starts to bubble. Turn heat down to medium-low and cook for 5 to 7 minutes.

This one also sounds like she might like it. Also ordered some of Gibson's Alabama White Sauce. Will have to make a bunch of chicken with different sauces and see what we all like best.

Hi Bob, I like this plumb glaze on chicken. It's simple and very good!

I'm glad you posted this request. I haven't the glaze in a long time, and I'm going to have to make it again!

1/2 cup plum jam
1/2 cup red wine (or 1/4 cup grape juice and 1/4 cup water)
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper (or less if you don't want it too hot)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Put all ingredients in a sauce pan and whisk to mix. Heat over medium heat until the mixture starts to bubble. Turn heat down to medium-low and cook for 5 to 7 minutes.

Bob.
Recently I have been using either of the following on chicken & pork:

1. Flying Goose Sriracha Sauce. (A bit hot 'n' spicy).
or
2. Flying Goose Hoisin Sauce. (Not hot, but a nice sweet-ish-salty taste).

What I do is dissolve a few tbsp in a little bit of boiling water. Then paint on the glaze for the last 10 minutes of the cook.

My old comp trick - dissolve 1/4 cup brown sugar in 1 cup boiling water, stir in your seasonings of choice 1 tsp at a time to taste, let it cool and spritz it on right at the end of the cook with a spray bottle. Put the lid down and check it every 10 minutes or so until sticky and caramelized to your wife's liking.

Thank you. It sounds great.

Tony, can't find it on Amazon (Flying Goose Hoisin Sauce). Any source you could recommend. Wife wouldn't want the hot 'n' spicey.

Thanks All. I think I will be doing a lot of chicken to try all of these. Have a bottle of Gibsons Alabama White Sauce on the way and she really liked the recipes from Rich and Mark. Might just have to change my thoughts on finishing sauces. Everything sounds good. Just another reason to love this forum.

Bob;
Here's a glaze I have been using on my Vortex chicken. We LOVE it! It is also terrific on kabobs (both pork and chicken):

For the Glaze
1/2 cup apricot preserves
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon finely chopped chipotle chiles in adobo

Let this combination of ingredients simmer in a small saucepan until it is slightly thickened and syrupy.

Attribution - from the website of "The Meatwave".

We've been using Weber's "Kick'n Chicken" rub. The combination is excellent IMHO...

I can recommend this without reservation.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Bob.
I did notice that Rich Dahl uses The Flying Goose sriracha sauce. Maybe where he sourced it also does the hoisin?
If not, PM me I'll get some over to you.

Back