Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Water Cooler / Dispenser recommendation

TVWBB Fan
    My whirlpool sxs has a water filter that traps a lot of crap along with chlorine,its about $55 dollars and I change it 1-2 times a year.We do buy bottled water for lunches ect ,I also run a whole house filter that removes the same along with a water softener so I have pretty good water

TVWBB Platinum Member Phil Perrin's Avatar
    Our tap water isn't bad at all, so we got a 2 1/2 gallon water dispenser for it from Wal-mart. It's about the size of a case of beer, but only 2 1/2 - 3 inches wide, and only cost about $5 bucks. I take a half gallon thermos of water with me every day, plus Pammi has a water bottle that she fills up daily. It lasts about 3 days before we need to refill it.
    Lagers and pilsners and ales, oh my!

TVWBB Wizard
    We use reverse osmosis system 6 stage I think, put it in when we built this house 2001 and I replace the filters every six months I buy them in bulk so not to bad but the water is super clean and I have run to the refrigerator ice maker and to the sink then under the sink we have a instant hot water heater so the faucet has two sides one cold one hot works great 17 years only replaced the heater once and it was still under warranty.
    Our city water has way to much chlorine in it and it smells the filter system is great for all foods, tea, coffee , hot chocolate, cleaning rice, etc. it gets a work out.
    "WEBER"
    2010 Black Performer,S310 2007,18.5 WSM 2010,Jumbo Joe 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin L (NKY) View Post
    We use reverse osmosis system 6 stage I think, put it in when we built this house 2001 and I replace the filters every six months I buy them in bulk so not to bad but the water is super clean and I have run to the refrigerator ice maker and to the sink then under the sink we have a instant hot water heater so the faucet has two sides one cold one hot works great 17 years only replaced the heater once and it was still under warranty.
    Our city water has way to much chlorine in it and it smells the filter system is great for all foods, tea, coffee , hot chocolate, cleaning rice, etc. it gets a work out.
    I think I'm going this route, other than the hot side, I'll have to heat water the old fashioned way. I already have a RO/DI unit that I think I could tap off of before it hit the DI (de-ionizer) filter. Also got some sort of filter that increases the pH. These RO filters move very slowly - takes my other ro/di 90 minutes to make 5 gallons, so this new one has a 3.5 (+ or -) pressurized storage tank. This kind of filter also produces waste water, so I'm thinking of running an exit line to the pool which is always suffering from evap (fill it a couple inches every 1-2 weeks).

One concern is that the the thing being constantly connected to the city side, even if the RO/DI isn't outputting water, if the receiver tank is full, the thing will still output water out it's waste line - I'm not OK with that (haven't seen how this new one combats that). I've tried pressure controlled switches that connect to a toilet-like float in the storage tank, that didn't work, so now I have an electric switch (not installed yet) to do the same thing (close the water valve that goes to the filter). Hope it's not a royal pita - it'll just feed the fridge/ice & a small tap on the sink.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12