Deviled Egg Potato Salad

Ryan Dethrow

I have tried many Variations and ways of making this and keep coming up short. Looking for some suggestions. I had it first at Bogart's in St. Louis and it was good. I was in Tenneseee this year on Vacation and the Food City Store brand was eirely similar. My own seems to lack something. Here is where I am currently....Any suggestions would be helpful.

3 1/2 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut
Good dose Kosher salt
Good Dose Freshly ground black pepper
3/4 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c miracle whip
3 tbsp. yellow mustard
8 hard-boiled large eggs, peeled and chopped
3 celery ribs, thinly sliced, plus 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
6 green onieons sliced
2 TBS of sweet pickle relish
2 TBS of pickle juice
1/3 c. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
Sweet paprika, for garnish

I typically mix all ingrediances and including the yolks together ina bowl. Then chop the egg whites and then fold into the potatoes. Just cant get that flavor of the bogarts and the store bought. Any help could be appreicated. It is good as is but could be better.

Sounds like a really great combination of flavors and no matter how much better this could be, if you put it on my plate...I'd be asking for seconds! Potato salad is always good. You seem to have a pretty straight forward recipe here. My only couple bits of advice are simple and what I like to do. Prepare potato salad from the guts! Measurements are a good guide line, but you gotta flavor based on your own taste palate. Also I don't like making my dressing on the side, I like to prepare the potatoes...cut cook and cool that is...then add all the extras (eggs, onions, celery, etc) then I would hit it with the pickle juice and add mayo and mustard accordingly. Hitting the potatoes hot out of the pot with the vinegar, or in this case pickle juice will add lots of flavor to the cooled potatoes. Also, brining the potatoes adds worlds of flavor...and since you're going for the that pickle, pimento kind of flavor, you can peel (if your prefer, I like the skin on) and cut your potatoes and then BRINE THEM IN PICKLE JUICE any where from 4 hours to 3 days before you're gonna cook them and prepare a potato salad. The longer the better and they are gonna absorb so much delicious pickle flavor, they may make you cry. However, brining the potatoes will also increase their cooking time, so know that. And about the posted recipe particularly, I'd substitute sour cream for miracle whip. Gives it a nice tangy note. Hope this helps. We can talk poato salad all day!

Thats awesome! Thanks for the advise. I Normally Go by the seat of the pants when making this and like you do use the measurements as a guideline. Depends on how much potato I end up using. Ill Try the Sour cream next time....Also Forgot to add the bacon to the recipe....can't forget that.

Back