Ribs in foil

Darrell J.

TVWBB Fan
Howdy,

Wondering what is your preference (if you foil ribs) as whether your ribs are bone down or meat side down? Lately, I've seen more and more with the bone side down and I'm wondering if that might be a way to preserve rib texture. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I always do bone side down, not for any reason at all.

For me, meat side down to reduce the chances of a bone piercing the foil and leaking out the juices.

I had this happen when I was removing the foiled ribs from the grill to unfoil. I'm glad it didn't happen sooner. I think I'm going to follow Jason's advice next time.

Last edited:
I do bone side down to keep the meat out of the juices so it doesn't get boiled and also so the rub doesn't get washed off. I put a folded in half piece of heavy duty tin foil on the bottom to protect against a poke trough. Never had a problem.

I learned bone side down so that is my process. Us two layers of foil so I can't see a real problem with bone tearing foil.

I tried foiling ribs, but had issues with mushy meat and meat separating from the bones. I likely used too much liquid and put the ribs meat down in the foil. Now, I coil them with skewers and cook them completely like that, then foil and rest them for about 30 minutes.

Thinking of trying foil again, with little or no additional liquid and maybe just some brown sugar and agave nectar. Instead of 3-2-1, I would think more like 3-1/2 -- 1/2 -- 1/2.

Jeff

I foil ribs occasionally. The tRick is not doing it too long and letting them firm back up a little after the foil phase.

I only foil for about 45 minutes with the meat down and a splash of liquid and it turns out very good. I've been experimenting with my cook times and so far this has worked best for me so far. 3 - 3/4 - 1 1/4. I've done the 3-2-1 but the meat felt off the bone. It was like putting them in a crock pot.

I foil ribs occasionally. The tRick is not doing it too long and letting them firm back up a little after the foil phase.

Exactly as Dustin says. They get way to soft and loose the precious bark you got before foiling. I am back to 30 min but to be honest after we move I have been seeing some great cooks with no foil at all so I am going to give that a tray.

Exactly as Dustin says. They get way to soft and loose the precious bark you got before foiling. I am back to 30 min but to be honest after we move I have been seeing some great cooks with no foil at all so I am going to give that a tray.

Ray - how long is the first and last stage that you've done? I have been keeping detailed logs and still tweaking to find out what works best. I'm thinking of dropping down to 30 minutes for the foil wrap For the 2nd stage.

Yup,,,, I usually run about 45 minutes foiled,, then back on, un-foiled with sauce to "set" everything. This thread is a good example of more than one right way to do something.

Time wise I usually cook them roughly 1.75 ( or whenever I like the color ),,, .75 (or when almost toothpick tender ),,,,,1,,,,,,,,,, at 275 degrees

Last edited:
That's how I roll.
Never did like the foil drama.

Remember, with Memphis Style you can always sauce at the end of the cook (and wrap for that matter) for the sauce lovers in the crowd.
Follow this and it's a homerun every time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKvjQFa0GUo

I have been cooking and selling BBQ to co-workers friends neighbors etc. for many years now and the one thing that is most important is consistency. I cook my ribs using a 4-.75-.5 method @ 235°. I foil with 1/4 cup of apple juice, bone side down. They always come out with great flavor and come off the bone with just a little bit of tug. I don't like the fall off the bone pot roast texture that a long time in foil yields.

I save the juice from the foil packets to make killer baked beans.

Back