Bacon wrapped, maple glazed Brussels sprouts..!

Jordan S.

You all are in for a real treat right here. This idea came to me by pure chance. While picking up a beautiful rack of baby backs, some fresh local sweet corn, onions, a couple cloves of garlic I happened on the Brussels sprouts, so I grabbed a dozen with no real idea as to what I was going to do with them. I got home and I got to cooking and time was winding down. I just happen to have some nice thick cut bacon in my fridge and some Black Bear maple syrup in my pantry and it all clicked. Here's what I did...

-Clean the sprouts up with a paring knife, removing the bottom and the outer most leaves.
-Par cook them over direct heat for a few minutes on each side or allow them to cook longer in the smoke, if you're slow cooking other things.
- Bring em inside and wrap each one in half a strip of your favorite bacon, securing the bacon in place with toothpicks.
-Back on the grill, over direct heat, dripping, flaring up, getting beautiful char.
-Rotate then start glazing with the best maple syrup available to you. Smell that candy in the air.
-Serve hot off the grill...remind people there's a tooth pick that needs plucking.

So that's basically it. I would have liked to have had pecans to toast and grind to top with, that layer would really set it off even more.

Other optional steps I thought of after the first cook. Toss the sprouts in a little bit of clarified butter or olive oil, salt and pepper before cooking at all, and if you've got a dry rub or some kind of sauce going on the main course just add a tiny bit to the tossed sprouts. Keep that web of flavor all connected real nice, now. A dash of bourbon in the maple syrup might also serve nicely.

I hope some of you get the chance to enjoy these delectable sprouts that ought to be served by the bucket full! Naturally if you discover other flavor factors that enhance the dish I'd love to hear.

-Cheers-

Last edited:
That sounds great Jordan. I love brussel sprouts and anything wrapped in bacon.

You all are in for a real treat right here. This idea came to me by pure chance. While picking up a beautiful rack of baby backs, some fresh local sweet corn, onions, a couple cloves of garlic I happened on the Brussels sprouts, so I grabbed a dozen with no real idea as to what I was going to do with them. I got home and I got to cooking and time was winding down. I just happen to have some nice thick cut bacon in my fridge and some Black Bear maple syrup in my pantry and it all clicked. Here's what I did...

-Clean the sprouts up with a paring knife, removing the bottom and the outer most leaves.
-Par cook them over direct heat for a few minutes on each side or allow them to cook longer in the smoke, if you're slow cooking other things.
- Bring em inside and wrap each one in half a strip of your favorite bacon, securing the bacon in place with toothpicks.
-Back on the grill, over direct heat, dripping, flaring up, getting beautiful char.
-Rotate then start glazing with the best maple syrup available to you. Smell that candy in the air.
-Serve hot off the grill...remind people there's a tooth pick that needs plucking.

So that's basically it. I would have liked to have had pecans to toast and grind to top with, that layer would really set it off even more.

Other optional steps I thought of after the first cook. Toss the sprouts in a little bit of clarified butter or olive oil, salt and pepper before cooking at all, and if you've got a dry rub or some kind of sauce going on the main course just add a tiny bit to the tossed sprouts. Keep that web of flavor all connected real nice, now. A dash of bourbon in the maple syrup might also serve nicely.

I hope some of you get the chance to enjoy these delectable sprouts that ought to be served by the bucket full! Naturally if you discover other flavor factors that enhance the dish I'd love to hear.

-Cheers-

Quick update. I found myself fooling around with more sprouts again today and twisted them a different way. I soaked them then smoked them for a good while to get them tender. After that wrapped with bacon, put over hot fire, sprinkle with the dry rub and then glaze with the bbq sauce of the day. Came out quite nice..!

Back