Boneless Leg of Lamb

Matty H

Bought an 8lb boneless leg of lamb that was on sale from costco.

Open the package, cut off the netting that holds the meat together, rinse it off. Trim some fat if you want to, I did not, but next time around I may trim a little, but not too much.

Made a home made rub. Get rosemary, thyme, basil, sage, parsley, mint, dill, oregano, and what ever fresh herbs and seasonings you can find. I set my oven at 200 and laid out all the herbs on foil in the warm oven for about 30-40 minutes until it was all dried. After that, I removed all the herbs from the stems, and then chopped them up, in a food processor.

Next I chopped a small yellow onion and a whole head of garlic. I then added the powder of the ground herbs and mixed it with the onion and garlic as well as some sea salt, pepper, and adobo. Add some olive oil and mix it all together into a paste.

Next coat the inside of the lamb with some olive oil. ( it sort of falls like a flat piece of meat after you remove the netting holding it all together.) Rub with the paste. Use some butcher twine to tie the leg back together into the classic roast shape. Now rub a layer of olive oil on the outside, and then apply the rest of the paste.

Let it sit over night in the fridge.

Bring your WSM up to 225-250, I used 4-5 chucks of pecan.

Smoke until internal temp is about 135. USDA says 145, but unless you like your meat well done, I would not suggest cooking lamb more then 130-135. The 8lb leg, only took about 3 1/2 hours to cook.

Wrap in foil and let it rest. I did not expect it to be finished cooking so quickly. Dinner was set for 7, but I was finished cooking by 3. I let it rest in a cooler wrapped tight in foil, and with a towel on top. When I opened the foil, I filled a cereal bowl with the juice that collected, it was great on the mash potatoes.

Back