Advice on catering and holding temp

Frank C. in NY

TVWBB Member
This weekend I get the chance to have someone other than family try my pulled pork. I'm doing a few butt's for my fire company fundraiser. I have everything set with supplies and time, I'm just struggling on how I can hold the meat and keep it juicy for long periods. We start serving around five and will go late into the evening. Probably at least nine. What can I do to keep things from drying out in the double boiler?

Wrap in foil and place in a warm cooler with several layers of newspaper or cardboard in the bottom. You can also cover the foil packs of pork with a towel.
It will hold for hours.
If you can, only pull one or 2 butts at a time.

Last edited:
I belong to a MC that often will have parties with 200-400 people eating. I find that cooking the butts in advance and leaving them whole is the best way to go. Ill usually smoke around (8) 10lb butts the day before and wrap them in foil, let them cool, then refrigerate. The day of the party ill start with three butts in the oven at 175 to get started. After about an hour they are warm through and I start pulling, replacing them with three more in the oven. Once pulled they go into a Chafing dish and are served. This system has worked well for me and we never get complaints about the meat being dry or cold.

I find that cooking the butts in advance and leaving them whole is the best way to go.

Do you think this approach works better than cooking and pulling the day before, then chilling and reheating the pulled meat the next day? I was under the impression that it's easier to pull apart the meat the first day when it is still warm than it is to chill and pull apart the meat the second day. But to be honest, I've never tried it so I'm not certain. Just worth of mouth suggestions. Good luck and POST PICS!!

Thanks for the responses fellas. I appreciate them. My plan was to pull them one by one just as Jay Nelson stated. I was worried about not going through it fast enough in the warming pan that it would dry out. I thought I read some where about adding chicken stock to the pan so when it steams it can flavor and keep moisture in longer?

Back