I need some quick tips on baby back ribs - please

Roger R.

TVWBB Fan
I have not smoked baby backs for years, as I really like St. Louis ribs a lot.
Today I am smoking 10 lbs of BB's.

What do you think?
250° for 5 hours and call it good - or do BB's cook differently than St. Louis?

I'm not really into foiling if it's not necessary. I just like to rub with mustard, then dry rub,
then smoke with a mix of apple & pecan.

Will 4 or 5 hours be about correct?

Thanks!

BB"s do cook quicker than spares, so at your temp I would start checking for tender at 4 hrs.

Tim

I have not smoked baby backs for years, as I really like St. Louis ribs a lot.
Today I am smoking 10 lbs of BB's.

What do you think?
250° for 5 hours and call it good - or do BB's cook differently than St. Louis?

I'm not really into foiling if it's not necessary. I just like to rub with mustard, then dry rub,
then smoke with a mix of apple & pecan.

Will 4 or 5 hours be about correct?

Thanks!
Here's how I do 'em.
Simple and a home run pretty much every time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKvjQFa0GUo

You're in my neighborhood.
If you need some rub let me know.

Check them at 4 hours, most likely they will be done. If not let them cook a little more.

sorry I missed this, I like to cook bb @225, usually done in 4-5 hours. The lower temp gives you a bigger window of opportunity to take them off the smoker at the right temp.

I left them on for about 4.75 hrs. They looked great, including a nice smoke ring. The texture is a lot different than St. Louis.
The meat fell off the bone easily and for the most part is very moist and tender. Some areas (of the same rib) were a little dry.
All in all, they turned out excellent. Thanks for all the tips. I should have been keeping a journal all these years!

I like to remove the membrane, cure in the dry rub up to 12 hours in advance, cook with indirect heat (bout 300-325) for about 3, 3.5 hours, and generate smoke with apple chips soaked in water, apple juice and a bit of the dry rub. I judge the doneness of the ribs by the lean in picking them up with tongs longways. Too straight, to rare. Breaking apart, too well cooked. I'll get the ribs on a hot grill and after about 45 mins or so, I'll add more soaked chips and mop the ribs and spritz with apple juice. Do that every 30 minutes until the ribs are done. I like to serve with twice grilled potatoes, corn cooked in the husk, bacon wrapped Brussels sprouts, cole slaw, pickles, beverages, etc. Flavor everywhere!

Back