WSM 18.5 Lid Hinge - smoker separation

Chris Brusca

I installed the WSM lid hinge on my 18.5 WSM this past weekend. I love it. I installed it on the back side of the smoker over the weld, as suggested in the instructions. However one side effect of having the lid open is that my smoker has a tendency to want to separate on the front side where the bottom and middle sections connect when the lid is fully open. This caused some issues this weekend when I was smoking some chicken where I had to hold the top section down at times when I had the lid fully open. I researched this a little bit and saw one poster who installed toggle latches to connect and hold together the bottom and middle sections. I ordered some on Amazon but not sure how they will work. Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so, what "fix" did you come up with to avoid it?

Thanks, CB

I installed latches on the lower to middle section and it works great. Also makes it easier to move the smoker that way. Good luck with the mod. I do love the lid hinge.

I used 3 latches that I ordered on EBay. I don't do high heat cooks on my WSM but I did have one cook that got pretty hot and I had no problem with the red rubberized material. Between the latches and the hinge, I can move my WSM22 anywhere I want using the wheels I installed. Once I build a pergola in my backyard I won't have to move it very much.

Chris, also, be sure when assembled the "hinge" is located directly over a leg. That way, there is not only more stability, but lessens the leveraging between sections.

Not sure how many smokes you have on your WSM, but perhaps more "gunk" accumulation with more smokes will make it stickier and less likely to separate.

I just installed the hinge on 2005 18.5". I see zero seperation with the lid up. I do think the 'gunk' provides a seal and narrows that area enough to provide friction. I installed mine on the right side of the door so it opens easily one handed for a righty.

Thanks Tom & Al. That could be. My smoker is only a few months old and so far I have less than 20 cooks with it.

I got my latches installed this weekend , just in time for a Labor Day smoke and they worked like a charm. I wasn't crazy about drilling more holes but the install went well and now I don't have to worry about it coming apart when I open the lid or move it around on the wheels I installed. There are 4 latches, evenly dispersed around the perimeter. I'd recommend this modification to anyone. The only thing I would do differently is NOT paint the latches. I got fancy and wanted to paint them black with heat resistant paint to make them match the smoker and ensure no future rust on them. However, the paint is already chipping off. I didn't use primer so maybe that was part of my issue. Will try to post some pictures on there tonight. I did use stainless steel nuts, bolts & lock washers.

Just installed my hinge last night. My smoker is a few years old and rightly "seasoned".... meaning there's way too much gunk holding it together. Heck, it's hard to pull apart manually. Seriously, I played with the hinge a bunch today and tried to make it separate using the hinge. No luck.

Just installed my hinge last night. My smoker is a few years old and rightly "seasoned".... meaning there's way too much gunk holding it together. Heck, it's hard to pull apart manually. Seriously, I played with the hinge a bunch today and tried to make it separate using the hinge. No luck.

Are you saying that the lid is sticking to the lip where it sits on the middle section? If so, see this: http://virtualweberbullet.com/faq.html#stuck

I was just going to post the same thing
WSM Brotha's, I recently installed the Unknown lid hinge, works great. sometimes the middle section slips just a little from the lower charcoal section, if I'm not extra careful opening and closing the lid now. I know I can just be cautious but id rather not have to worry about it. Has anyone else encountered this? I'm thinking a quick disconnect bracket or latch, or even some muffler tape. Please let me know what's worked for you. thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

How did your latches work out? Can we get installed pics?

Just take the lid clear off so you don't have an imbalance of weight hanging off one side.

What problem does a hinge solve that out weights the problem it creates?

Just take the lid clear off so you don't have an imbalance of weight hanging off one side.

What problem does a hinge solve that out weights the problem it creates?

Most of us haven't "created" a problem and some do not have a convenient place to lay the lid. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Just sayin'. ;)

Back