First Brisket

Matt in MD

TVWBB Fan
Hi all - so I made a 9.3 pound brisket this weekend and was pleasantly surprised at how it turned out. I bought this from J.W. Treuth's in Oella, MD.

fw5zt2.jpg

I used a recipe from Weber's New Real Grilling, I think it was called Brisket of your dreams. Here it is rubbed before I threw it on my 18.5 WSM. It sat at room temperature for 1 hour rubbed:

120gdjt.jpg

I ran it from about 7 am, using the minion method with 15 lit coals and about 4 tennis ball sized pieces of mesquite, until about 10:45 am when the internal temperature hit 150. I had the WSM at about 230 the whole time (the recipe called for 225-250). Once it hit 150, I brought it into the kitchen, put it into a foil pan, and added broth and some melted butter per the recipe. I then foiled the pan, put the probe back in and let it hit 200. Once it hit 200 and probed tender with a skewer it looked like this:

25ewrvr.jpg

I let it rest for 45 minutes, foiled, before cutting it - it looks a bit dry in a couple pictures but only the very small end pieces were dry at all. Overall it was fantastic. I made it with cole slaw and the "Keri's hog apple baked beans" recipe I found here and have made twice now. Man those things are good.

15e91lk.jpg

fz69n5.jpg

20ud0dt.jpg

1zwot4i.jpg

So my wife, daughter and I got 2 good meals, I fed a neighbor and his 2 boys a dinner, and there's still enough for several sandwiches. I give myself an A- / B+ :wsm: :cool:

Last edited:
Looks like a wonderful cook. Congrats on that first brisket, I bet the family and friends were thrilled for that wonderful meal.

Way to go on your first Matt. It looks really good. I'll be doing my first brisket on my new 14.5 WSM soon. I hope I get the same results you did.

Back