Smoked Sausage Logs

CDellasega

Hi all - I am smoking 4 pork butts this weekend for a party and am considering making some sausage logs to throw on the smoker and serve with crackers and cheese. Has anyone ever done this before? If so, what is a good recipe for extras to add to the store bought sausage, i.e. peppers, spices, etc.? Also, planning on doing it at 225-250 for 2-3 hours, does this sound right? Appreciate any help!

If I put any extra seasoning on them I will typically just use whatever commercial bbq rub I have handy at the time, Kosmo's, Head Country and Zero to Hero all seemed to work pretty well. I would stay closer to 2 hours than 3. These make great left overs for breakfast as well.

Similar to a fatty but not as thick in diameter. Probably going to shoot for inch and a half at most and skip the bacon wrap.

My initial thought is if you are just going to make big cylinders of ground sausage meat, they will dry out and turn to gravel unless they are enrobed in something, bacon provides some "structure" and will help hold the product together, or casing (more obviously) does the same thing, maintaining moisture.
At that time and temperature, in the diameter you are thinking, unless you use cheesecloth I have my doubts.
Happy to hear I'm wrong if it works out!

Last edited:

Back