Throwdown #36: Sirloin Steak

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations to Cliff Bartlett for his winning entry of Balsamic Shrimp Salad in the Grilled Salad throwdown! He's picked the next throwdown topic:

Sirloin Steak!

Cliff says, "After the last two or three throwdowns maybe we should do something more traditional on the grill or smoker to end the summer with some sizzle. How does sirloin steak sound?" Sounds good to me!

We're looking for entries that include grilled or barbecued sirloin steak in any form, whether as an entree or as an ingredient in a dish.

Update: Entries should consist of any steak from what is known in the U.S. as the sirloin section, indicated in the diagram below as "Sirloin 9%". As for tri-tip, that's a roast...unless you cut it into thin steaks before cooking, in which case those steaks qualify for the throwdown.

Let's run this throwdown until Sunday, September 18 at 11:59pm Pacific Time.

Good luck everyone!

P.S. Remember, don't be intimidated! This isn't a barbecue competition, it's just for fun and friendship! Try it, you'll like it! And make sure to see the simple throwdown rules.

P.S.S. Remember, only 10 photos for each entry! Photo collages (multiple photos grouped into a single file) are OK, but each photo in the collage counts towards the 10 photo limit.

beefchart_zpsqe5vjpto.jpg

I’ll kick off the sirloin challenge. With some reverse sear action.

Two x 1.5" 28 day aged Black Angus sirloins. Prepped with a light coat of olive oil & wee sprinkle of mixed rub. (Didn’t want to mask the meat). The rub is a conglomeration of about 10 half empty tubs of rub thrown into an air tight jar. (Needed to make room in the cupboard).

ws2rnp.jpg

2gybst0.jpg

On to the Jumbo Joe utilising the Vortex, & a chunk of olive wood. Shooting for 120F IT.

16aqq1x.jpg

Once I got to 120F, I wrapped the steaks in foil, & turned over the vortex and added 10 more fully lit coals. (I upturned the vortex to get a bit more real estate). I then seared each steak for 2 minutes., turning every 30 seconds

mtkpw4.jpg

Your Plate. Sides: Colcannon, Black Pudding, corn & peas, garlic bread.

2cxycev.jpg

My plate.

9kp378.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Batter up. I nominate Pat G. down in Katy, Tx.

Last edited:
Nice work Tony........... As usual. I think I'm gong to have to enter my first ever throwdown challenge. I can't let Tony have all the fun.:)

Nice cook Tony and great use of the vortex. Got rain all this week so we're in a holding pattern until it lets up. Interested to see what Pat comes up with. Put your ARD on and get to it Pat;)

Tony, those steaks are outstanding and man do they lood delicious. Great job with the vortex.

Last edited:
OK here we go - Team GB representing early in this one.
I was lucky enough to win am Australian Wagyu Striploin (near enough?) from a Meat Wholesaler here in the UK
Decent grade it was too - awesome marbling

so I fired up the Performer and used my BGE cast iron grate to give them a good sear

carved beautifully

drizzled with some wild garlic pesto

I was lucky enough to win am Australian Wagyu Striploin (near enough?) from a Meat Wholesaler here in the UK
I hate to play referee...but if a striploin is what we'd call a top loin steak or NY strip steak on this side of the pond, that's a better cut of meat than a sirloin steak. :( But those are beautifully marbled steaks and you grilled them perfectly! :)

Edit: Wikipedia says that what we call a strip steak in the US is known as a sirloin steak in Australia. The cut comes from the US short loin, not the US sirloin. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_steak Wikipedia also says that the section we call the sirloin in the US is known as the rump in Australia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirloin_steak

Nice cook Tony and great use of the vortex. Got rain all this week so we're in a holding pattern until it lets up. Interested to see what Pat comes up with. Put your ARD on and get to it Pat;)

Rich, is Prescott Valley competing with the Amazon jungle for most rain?

Rich, is Prescott Valley competing with the Amazon jungle for most rain?

Houston is in the running too. 3 major floods in 16 months, then it doesn't rain for 3 months, now it's rained for a week straight. I wanted to do my throwdown cook this weekend but it looks like more rain. I might have to freeze my Australian rump loins until the weather cooperates.

I believe London Broil is consider sirloin, if so, I may do that the family loves it.
London broil is a method for preparing and cooking flank steak or top round steak.
Sirloin steak comes from the loin, or lower back and side of the cow.

There is a difference...

At the supermarket, the label will usually say something about the cut of meat first, followed by "London Broil" as the preparation.

For example:

• Certified Angus Beef Chuck Shoulder London Broil
  • CAB Round Top Round London Broil
  • Top Round London Broil
As Jim says, a sirloin steak is not typically associated with the "London Broil" preparation.

London broil is a method for preparing and cooking flank steak or top round steak.
Sirloin steak comes from the loin, or lower back and side of the cow.

There is a difference...

Now that you say that, it does ring a bell. I have to pick either center sirloin like they do at Outbacks or a sirloin. I've done those as well and the fam likes them

Back