Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Throwdown #36: Sirloin Steak

Throwdown #36: Sirloin Steak

Congratulations to Cliff Bartlett for his winning entry of Balsamic Shrimp Salad in the Grilled Salad throwdown! He's picked the next throwdown topic:

Sirloin Steak!

Cliff says, "After the last two or three throwdowns maybe we should do something more traditional on the grill or smoker to end the summer with some sizzle. How does sirloin steak sound?" Sounds good to me!

We're looking for entries that include grilled or barbecued sirloin steak in any form, whether as an entree or as an ingredient in a dish.

Update: Entries should consist of any steak from what is known in the U.S. as the sirloin section, indicated in the diagram below as "Sirloin 9%". As for tri-tip, that's a roast...unless you cut it into thin steaks before cooking, in which case those steaks qualify for the throwdown.

Let's run this throwdown until Sunday, September 18 at 11:59pm Pacific Time.

Good luck everyone!

P.S. Remember, don't be intimidated! This isn't a barbecue competition, it's just for fun and friendship! Try it, you'll like it! And make sure to see the simple throwdown rules.

P.S.S. Remember, only 10 photos for each entry! Photo collages (multiple photos grouped into a single file) are OK, but each photo in the collage counts towards the 10 photo limit.

Chris.
    I'm doing big sirloins for dinner tonight. I'll kick this one off if it's ok.
    Eat a balanced diet.....a piece of pork belly in each hand.
    22.514.5JJSJSJ

I’ll kick off the sirloin challenge. With some reverse sear action.

Two x 1.5" 28 day aged Black Angus sirloins. Prepped with a light coat of olive oil & wee sprinkle of mixed rub. (Didn’t want to mask the meat). The rub is a conglomeration of about 10 half empty tubs of rub thrown into an air tight jar. (Needed to make room in the cupboard).

On to the Jumbo Joe utilising the Vortex, & a chunk of olive wood. Shooting for 120F IT.

Once I got to 120F, I wrapped the steaks in foil, & turned over the vortex and added 10 more fully lit coals. (I upturned the vortex to get a bit more real estate). I then seared each steak for 2 minutes., turning every 30 seconds

Your Plate. Sides: Colcannon, Black Pudding, corn & peas, garlic bread.

My plate.

Thanks for stopping by.

Batter up. I nominate Pat G. down in Katy, Tx.
    Last edited by TonyUK; 08-23-2016 at 12:39 PM.
    22.514.5JJSJSJ

Quote Originally Posted by TonyUK View Post
    On to the Jumbo Joe utilising the Vortex...
    Love seeing a Jumbo Joe in the competition...and great looking sirloins...done just the way I like!

Nice work Tony........... As usual. I think I'm gong to have to enter my first ever throwdown challenge. I can't let Tony have all the fun.
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) 18WSM 14WSM 22 OTG JJ Q1200 Gas & Charcoal Go Anywhere, Blackstone 17, Vortex, Kettle Pizza, Smoke

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Nice cook Tony and great use of the vortex. Got rain all this week so we're in a holding pattern until it lets up. Interested to see what Pat comes up with. Put your ARD on and get to it Pat
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Tony, those steaks are outstanding and man do they lood delicious. Great job with the vortex.
    Last edited by Barb D; 08-24-2016 at 11:46 AM.
    2009 Performer Platinum , 1999 Genesis 1000 LX, Mini Smoker, 2009 E320ng, 18.5 , 1993 Smokey Joe, 2011 Performer Deluxe

OK, the bar has been set. And it is high.
    ; ; ;

OK here we go - Team GB representing early in this one.
    I was lucky enough to win am Australian Wagyu Striploin (near enough?) from a Meat Wholesaler here in the UK
    Decent grade it was too - awesome marbling

so I fired up the Performer and used my BGE cast iron grate to give them a good sear

carved beautifully

drizzled with some wild garlic pesto

Team Bullet Brothers BBQ - Performer 22.5 (with rotisserie) + WSM 22 + OT 22.5 + Jumbo Joe 18.5 + WSM 14.5 + Medium BGE:

⬆ ⬆
    That Wagyu is epic Chris. Grate looking cook.

Last edited by TonyUK; 09-19-2016 at 07:55 AM.
    22.514.5JJSJSJ

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast