Pre cooking ribs

Ron B

TVWBB Member
Hi everyone,

Over Labor day weekend my family and I are attending a local festival and everyone is coming back to my house to eat. I want to make baby backs using the competition ribs recipe, but won't have enough time to do it after getting back from the festival.

What I'm thinking is to do the first part of the cook the day before, (smoke 3.5 hours) take them off and refrigerate, then foil, add the fruit juice and finish the final hour and a half the next day.

Will this work?

Thanks for the help.

Ron

Last edited:
I would be interested in hearing the feedback but I do not enjoy leftover ribs (as ribs) like the day they are cooked.

Glad to see ya back Ron.
I think any plan will work as long as you set your mind to it:wsm:

Tim

I've done a complete rib cook and then re-heated for the boys on the jobsite the next day.
I cook them Memphis Style....I am not a fan of 3-2-1

With Memphis you still have "bite" (they are not steamed, fallin' off the bone) and I think that method holds up better for a re-heat.
You can always add sauce at the end of the cook for the sauce lovers when you do Memphis.

How to do Memphis Style Ribs...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKvjQFa0GUo

Here's a rub recipe that will work for the above...

Joe's Pork Rub

1/3 Cup Paprika

2 Tsp Smoked Paprika

2 Tsp Black Pepper

1/4 Cup Brown Sugar

1/2 Cup White Sugar

1 TBSP Salt

1 TBSP Granulated Garlic (or Garlic Powder)

1 TBSP Onion Powder

2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper

1/2 Tsp Cumin

1/2 Tsp Chipotle Powder

1/2 Tsp Ground Ginger

1/2 Tsp Celery Seed

1 Tsp Dry Mustard

1 Tsp Ground Coriander Seed

Yield : 1-1/2 Cups

Moppin' Sauce

8 oz. Apple Juice
4 oz. Red Wine Vinegar
4 oz. Vegetable Oil
3 TBSP Rub

Last edited:
I regularly cook way-y more ribs than I can use. I only sauce those I plan on eating right away. The rest (half racks) are vacuum packed and frozen. We serve them later, on demand. My wife sauces them and reheats in the oven to set the sauce and heat them. They are excellent!

keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I regularly cook way-y more ribs than I can use. The rest (half racks) are vacuum packed and frozen. We serve them later, on demand. My wife sauces them and reheats in the oven to set the sauce and heat them. They are excellent!

^^^Exactly! I do the same thing as Robert. Always come out great.

I normally put a half rack in a 375 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes.

Back