ATC Units - Leaning towards CyberQ

Matt in MD

TVWBB Fan
Hi all - I have only done 3 cooks so far with my 18.5" WSM, but I am already pretty sure I am going to get an ATC for longer cooks so that I can start longer things like full briskets at night and not be up every hour to check on the temps. I have done a lot of reading this past week and am leaning towards the CyberQ - the stoker looks a bit more capable but has more features than I will probably ever use and I can't see myself ever needing a second smoker. The wife is already wondering why I'm smoking free food for the neighbors :eek:

One question - it looks like in addition to using bbqgurus website to log in and check/change settings, I can use either the PitPal or Cyber Cook apps - any recommendations on what's best?

Any other comments or thoughts? Thank you!

Matt

I have the CyberQ plus CyberCook which I run on an ipad. Works great.

If you have any challenges in setting up you can email the guy at CyberCook and he'll give you his phone number.

He talked me through some setup issues I had, even on the weekend.

jz

Hi John - that was one thing that I read several times, that the customer service at bbqguru is second to none. Thanks! (ETA oops meant the service at Cyber cook!)

Last edited:
Hi all - I have only done 3 cooks so far with my 18.5" WSM, but I am already pretty sure I am going to get an ATC for longer cooks so that I can start longer things like full briskets at night and not be up every hour to check on the temps. I have done a lot of reading this past week and am leaning towards the CyberQ - the stoker looks a bit more capable but has more features than I will probably ever use and I can't see myself ever needing a second smoker. The wife is already wondering why I'm smoking free food for the neighbors :eek:

One question - it looks like in addition to using bbqgurus website to log in and check/change settings, I can use either the PitPal or Cyber Cook apps - any recommendations on what's best?

Any other comments or thoughts? Thank you!

Matt

You sound EXACTLY like me just a month or two ago. I got a CyberQ and it has made smoking even more fun and less of hassle for those times when you really want to not have to check on things too often. PitPal works great with it. The CyberQ hosts it's own web page, you're not relying on BBQGuru or the cloud to access it (I got the impression from your post that you were thinking you had to have a connection to BBQGuru's servers).

Thanks Adam, yes that's what I thought. I'm not super computer savvy but it looks pretty simple. Do you have a wsm, and if so do you leave the top vent wide open when using the cyberq?

I have a DigiQ, same thing but without wifi. WSMs will be different depending on how much they leak, so you'll have to just keep smoking meat until you get the necessary settings down pat for your WSM. :) I found I needed to start with less lit charcoal (Minion method) after I started using the DigiQ, and I needed to close the top vent some to keep it in the 225 range.

Thanks Adam, yes that's what I thought. I'm not super computer savvy but it looks pretty simple. Do you have a wsm, and if so do you leave the top vent wide open when using the cyberq?

Yes and yes. Using an 18" WSM and leaving the top vent fully open.

The ability to set up alarms/notifications for time or temp and access the controller from my phone (even when not home) really helps with piece of mind. Although if you do everything even somewhat right the controller will do its part reliably, it's also nice knowing it will tell you (or you can check in with it) literally anywhere in the world that you can have web browser. Also, it tells you the cycle time/output % of the fan which can give you a somewhat indirect indicator of whether you're running out of fuel (eg. you're 13 hours in to a cook and you see the fan output is at 100%, you can be fairly certain your coals are close to being thoroughly exhausted).

Great! I think I am sold...even as steady as the wsm is, I love the idea of getting notifications and having temp changes made while I'm sleeping or getting other stuff done.

First of all I suggest to you to upgrade your WSM like this:
1) stainless door by CB
2) gasket tape round the lid base.

Then you can use BBQ GURU at the best.
I started with DIGIQ with all the Itunes apps available.
But cook after cook I understood the WSM was super super super steady and doesn't need any control or remote control.
So I bought the DX2 and I stopped using DIGIQ which works now just for backup.
DX2 really is the one you need if you like/need to control Temp (smoker or meat or both) from outside home like at work.

HeaterMeter, all the way.

+2
The Good - The HM I've found is the best at maintaining smoker temps, has wifi, will text or email you with alerts, you can check on your smoker from your smart phone wherever you can get to the internet. It controls the fire by fan, vent, or both. It will also monitor up to 3 food probes.
The bad - it is not plug an play. Being that it is SUPER adjustable and custom-able, you will have a larger learning curve, but the end results are far superior.
The neutral - You either have to build it yourself ( from kit if you want,) or have one built for you.

I don't feel the need for a CB door, but gasket the lid and door will help make you and your ATC happy.

+2

I don't feel the need for a CB door, but gasket the lid and door will help make you and your ATC happy.

Great point. The Cajun Bandit door and correct latch costs a good amount. Definitely try just the seal kit first, but if that doesn't work then add the CB door.

Looking back - I think I added my seal kit to my 18 WSM but was still getting leakage around the door, no matter how much I bended or shaped it with the seal kit installed. It was also much harder to close.

Once you fire up that blower you will know pretty quickly if the seal kit fixed your door leak. Doing that first could save you around $65 or so on the door + latch.

You need stop the leaks or compensate for them before you can get control with ATC.

I guess the ATC will have to work a lot harder or be confused if the WSM cannot establish some sort of predictability or stability on its own.

My 22.5 WSM leaks so I cannot get a steady temp under 235f

I have recently bought some Nomex felt (not installed yet) and I think I have dropped sufficient hints to get a CB door (with latch) for Christmas, or soon after subject to availability.

I have ordered a CyberQ but I expect to get the best out of it I need to sort out the leaks.

Back