Smoking my first brisket this weekend....pointers anyone? :-)

Matthew F.

Hey guys and girls......I'm smoking my first 18 lb packer brisket on my 22" WSM this weekend. What makes this one special is not that it's my first one but because it's for my daughters first birthday party so, I kind of want it to be a decent product. Does anyone have any pointers on the cook including wrapping, resting and holding so that I can keep it moist and retain the smoke flavor. Lunch is at 3pm on Sunday so I need it ready to serve by then. I was thinking of putting it on around 6pm Saturday night over KBB and hickory.

I often do 14 pounders, and they never take more than nine hours a 250 degrees. I usually start my WSM at two AM, and they are done by noon. My experience is different from what I read here, but I'm thinking six PM might be a bit early, unless you plan to warm it up before you eat.

That's a monster brisket! It really depends on cook temp and whether or not you wanna wrap. I typically cook around 225 to 245. 6pm will probably work. I'd wrap it when it hits about 165 or when the bark is set with butcher paper. If you don't have butcher paper foil will work but the brisket will cook faster(you might want it to cook faster). Cook it until its probe tender (probe goes in like in warm butter). Take it off and let it rest (If wrapped let it vent by opening the foil) until it hits 170 internal. Double wrap it in foil and put it in a ice chest with towels until you are ready to serve. If you need to hold for a long time, pre-heat the cooler with hot water and dump it before putting in the brisket.
Some guys are lucky with short cook times. I have never had that luck.

Ever since I tried it once, I've cooked all my briskets high heat. It takes less time and they always turn out moist and tender. I don't see a reason to drag out the cook. I don't cooler either. I rest 20-30 on the counter after draining most of the foil juices.

Here's an article: http://virtualweberbullet.com/brisket4.html

...and a compilation http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?7188-High-Heat-Brisket-Method-A-Compilation

I prefer Black's rub http://store.blacksbbq.com/original-1932-dry-rub-each-p27.aspx

Last edited:
Dustin's advice is spot on. That is exactly how I do my briskets. Am doing one for Labor Day for a lot of family. I normally put them on ato about 11:00 PM and they are normally done by noon or 1PM. This time I will probably start about 6PM since I probably have to do ribs also and only have the one WSM22. If I decide to do 2 pork butts at the same time, they will go on the bottom rack and I will then start at 10PM. My normal packer is about 14 pounds but the difference should not be any problem. Good Luck and enjoy the birthday party. I remember those parties from many many years ago. Grand daughter is now almost 5. Enjoy and don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.

i am with you, dwain. high heat is the way to go. same quality results, just in half the time, or less. can i also just mention how lucky your daughter is to be in a family that serves homemade smoked brisket at her first birthday??! yes please.

i am with you, dwain. high heat is the way to go. same quality results, just in half the time, or less. can i also just mention how lucky your daughter is to be in a family that serves homemade smoked brisket at her first birthday??! yes please.

I have yet to do a high heat brisket. If I do I'll probably try it on my offset because I know I can run it for 5 hours. BTW, Matthew, congrats on your daughter's first birthday! My son will be 1 in 2 months. I'll probably make chicken andouille gumbo with homemade andouille.

Given the venue you likely don't want to experiment this time, but i HIGHLY recommend giving it a try without the crutch (foil) sometime. To each their own, but in my house it's all about the bark, and the bark without the foil is far superior.

I'm going to have to chime in here too. I think you planning to put it on way too early based on my experience. The largest brisket I ever cooked was 17 lbs and it cooked in about 9 hours. Good luck.

Dustin's advice is spot on. That is exactly how I do my briskets. Am doing one for Labor Day for a lot of family. I normally put them on ato about 11:00 PM and they are normally done by noon or 1PM. This time I will probably start about 6PM since I probably have to do ribs also and only have the one WSM22. If I decide to do 2 pork butts at the same time, they will go on the bottom rack and I will then start at 10PM. My normal packer is about 14 pounds but the difference should not be any problem. Good Luck and enjoy the birthday party. I remember those parties from many many years ago. Grand daughter is now almost 5. Enjoy and don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.
This is exactly what I've been tasked to do. Brisket on top rack and a 10 lb pork butt on the bottom rack. Once they come off I have to put 3 racks of ribs on.

Sounds like you will need to start early so you will have time for the ribs. Don't forget to factor that into the equation. Your family and guests will love the food and will always want to know when you are cooking. Good Luck.

This is exactly what I've been tasked to do. Brisket on top rack and a 10 lb pork butt on the bottom rack. Once they come off I have to put 3 racks of ribs on.

I often do 14 pounders, and they never take more than nine hours a 250 degrees. I usually start my WSM at two AM, and they are done by noon. My experience is different from what I read here, but I'm thinking six PM might be a bit early, unless you plan to warm it up before you eat.

Vern,
Do you wrapp ?

Oh man, for the first hour and a half I was fighting temps upward of 300 because of wind. I finally got it sitting steady at 250. That was not fun at all.

Back