Rpi B+: openwrt hangs during boot @ "hub 1-1.0.0: 5 ports detected"

Brian NC

I've tried a stock openwrt image and it boots fine on B+.
HM Openwrt image works fine on my rPi Model A.

I've tried multiple SD cards but cannot for the life of me get the OpenWrt HM image to boot on the B+. What am I missing?:confused::confused:

edit:added a few details for clarity

Last edited:
I was under the impression the rPi B+ works with the current HM hardware and software but the boards wont mate because the second pair of USB ports interferes with the HM power jack (and the extra pins on the header hit the buzzer but that's an easy fix). I know the current release works on the A+ because I have one running here. I have a B+ too, but can't connect it because the boards wont mate...

How are you connecting the boards, or are you just booting the rPi on its own?

I was under the impression the rPi B+ works with the current HM hardware and software but the boards wont mate because the second pair of USB ports interferes with the HM power jack (and the extra pins on the header hit the buzzer but that's an easy fix). I know the current release works on the A+ because I have one running here. I have a B+ too, but can't connect it because the boards wont mate...

How are you connecting the boards, or are you just booting the rPi on its own?

Im pairing it with HM v4.3

OMDXWq6.jpg

here it is mated:

t9sukbO.jpg

Last edited:
I just did a quick experiment, booted the A+ without the HM board attached, I was able to get to the gui web page fine. Then I put the SD card and wifi dongle into the rPi B+ (not connected to the HM) and it didn't seem to boot. I didn't have a monitor connected so I can't say for sure where it hangs but it doesn't seem to boot, no activity or attempt at wifi connection. These "+" model rPi's are both kinda odd, the red power led seems to flash with activity rather than the green activity LED (even the A+ does this when it is working fine), so kinda hard to tell what they are doing or not...

...but it seems maybe you are right, perhaps there is a special release for the B+ (even though the A+ works with the standard image), they could have changed up a chipset on the B+ model or something...

OK, so you have a v4.3 board, nice. Hardware and software wise I'm pretty sure the 4.3 is the same as 4.2, and the release info seems to indicate the current hardware/software platform should boot on the B+... So IDK what to say about your problem. I have personally found microSD cards to be more finicky than the larger SD cards, I went through an episode or two with my A+ before I landed on a card that worked reliable (that I pulled from an old cell phone).
Maybe try booting raspbian to test if the card and board are playing nice..

OK, so you have a v4.3 board, nice. Hardware and software wise I'm pretty sure the 4.3 is the same as 4.2, and the release info seems to indicate the current hardware/software platform should boot on the B+... So IDK what to say about your problem. I have personally found microSD cards to be more finicky than the larger SD cards, I went through an episode or two with my A+ before I landed on a card that worked reliable (that I pulled from an old cell phone).
Maybe try booting raspbian to test if the card and board are playing nice..

Thanks Ralph, all good advice. I have tried booting different Rpi images (Jessie & Jessie lite) on the B+ and it boots fine. I have 4 microSD cards handy(2x64GB, 1x16GB, and 1x4GB) and all of them seem to be working(with the exception of the HM OpenWrt image on the B+). Im stumped. Normally I would just proceed with the Model A but it doesn't fit in the 4.3 case I have.

I am attempting to boot a brand new 4.3 build up on a B+ and am seeing this exact same behavior, was a solution ever found?

On another note, should the Raspberry Pi be able to boot without the heatermeter board attached? I am trying to decouple the potential software and hardware issues. Thanks.

OK, once I got the heatermeter LCD board finished and attached I have managed to get it working (not sure what I did).

My problem now is that everything seems to work perfectly except the pit probe. It is this thermocouple:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0142SKL0Y/tvwb-20

Without the thermocouple attached the pit probe reads 23 degrees, but when I attach it it reads 600+ degrees. Holding it in my hand seems to make the temperature go down mostly, but it does not seem consistent.

I will make a new thread to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Back