When Is It Time to Replace the Old Grill on WGA?

Howard I

I'll need to follow up with a photo or two of my current chrome plated grill on my WGA charcoal grill.

Do the chrome grill grates become hazardous over time and leach unwanted particles into the food? I used a course wire brush that is used in a power drill to strip off and clean the grill grate. In doing so, the surface got a little pocked marked, so I fear I may have distorted the surface and ended up with something unhealthy.

Any thoughts?

I decided, for the time being, that I would cut the grill grate in 1/2 so that I can store them lower in the unit allowing me to put the chimney and charcoal on top. I like the after-market grill grates suggested on this site, but for now, a simple grill grate suffices since I primarily grill hot dogs or sausages on the WGA.

Thanks.

Nope, yer ok. I just clean and spray with pam. Or you can use any canola oil. The ones I'm using now were all rusted. Just cleaned them up and keep them oiled. They have been in use for years.

Thanks.

I enjoy this forum since discovering it a little while ago. It is fun to restore my old charcoal WGA and 'rebuild' the new version of the WGA gas grill. I do own other Weber BBQs, including the Q gas grill, but I am more fond of the simple WGA grills. They are simple, lightweight, and compact.

howard, did you see the link i posted on the gas ga post you started ?
and yes, my sj's have basically been retired since i got
my ga's. the only one i use is a gold for my mini smoker.

Back