Cocktail Sauce

Pat G

TVWBB Emerald Member
I learned this recipe working in a seafood restaurant many years ago. Cocktail sauce is not really difficult but there is one ingredient that really takes it to the next level. This ingredient is A-1 sauce. The only reason I have A-1 sauce is to make cocktail sauce. Use the same amount as the worcestershire sauce. My friends always ask me where I got it from, my kitchen of course.

Use the following ingredients to the taste you prefer.

Last edited:
That looks good Pat. Can you give recipe specifics so we have a good place to start it order to make it our own? TIA

That looks good Pat. Can you give recipe specifics so we have a good place to start it order to make it our own? TIA

Lots of ketchup. A splash of lemon juice and hot sauce. About a tablespoon of worcestershire and A-1. Horseradish to your liking. It's better if it spends the night in the fridge.

Seems wonderful. I'll definitely be trying this out in the near future. Thanks for sharing!

I do a really nice tartar sauce. Mayo, relish, capers, finely diced shallots, lemon juice, fresh cracked pepper, granulated garlic and onion, a bit of cayenne, and just touch it with celery salt or seeds.

Seems wonderful. I'll definitely be trying this out in the near future. Thanks for sharing!

I do a really nice tartar sauce. Mayo, relish, capers, finely diced shallots, lemon juice, fresh cracked pepper, granulated garlic and onion, a bit of cayenne, and just touch it with celery salt or seeds.

Thanks for sharing your tartar sauce recipe. I will have to try it.

Thanks for sharing your tartar sauce recipe. I will have to try it.

I made it with a couple mods I'm sure. I used HP sauce instead of A1 but it's close. Thanks for sharing - it's a lot better than my simple ketchup & horseradish I've been making for years.

I'm amazed at how different "Cocktail Sauce" can be from one part of the country to another.
I've tried some with the AMAZING fresh Gulf Shrimp one can get in the Redneck Riviera - but the sauce was usually disappointing.

Around here - we just crack a bottle of Hoffman House (every once in a while, you bite into a bit of horseradish that Clears Your Sinuses)
But it seems to only be available on Grocery Store shelves on a regional basis.

I'll have to try yours and see how it compares, or at least as a backup where HH is not available.

I made it with a couple mods I'm sure. I used HP sauce instead of A1 but it's close. Thanks for sharing - it's a lot better than my simple ketchup & horseradish I've been making for years.

I just saw this Clint. Glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for the recipe Pat.

I made a cocktail sauce the other week.
Mayo. Sriracha Sauce. Horseradish. Mix the sriracha into the mayo until you get to the colour/taste you want. Add a little horseradish, tasting as you go.
It's great for dipping shrimp/prawns & thinly slice smoked salmon.

How's that Imglehoffer Mayo Pat? Tony, what Mayo do you use on your side of the world?

ChuckO. I use the stuff below, when I can get it. It's hands down the best mayo, imo. Otherwise the usual suspects, Hellman's - Heinz etc.

Pat, don't need a new pic. Just edit your original post to fix the link:
COMPUTER:

go into the post to edit it.

Find the url that shows the pic's url. It will be a bunch of gobbledegook but will ALWAYS end in .jpg[/img]

At the end of the .jpg part (but before the [/img] ) put ~original

it will look like this

photobucket/fddgg.jpg~original[/img]

That's it. Your pic will now show as originally posted.

You'll need a new site for new pics but you already knew that.
tango_face_grin.png

TABLET

If you're doing this on a tablet, you have to be in mobile view. It won't work in desktop view.

I wonder how long this would stay good in the fridge..... 2 weeks? 1 month?

I can't remember making this since my last post in this thread, might have, but I threw it out today & considered making more.... just made some salt & pepper shrimp, fried with a touch of sugar and a splash of tequila on each side.

The sauce looked & smelled good but I didn't have a date on the bottle so I tossed it.

I wonder how long this would stay good in the fridge..... 2 weeks? 1 month?

I can't remember making this since my last post in this thread, might have, but I threw it out today & considered making more.... just made some salt & pepper shrimp, fried with a touch of sugar and a splash of tequila on each side.

The sauce looked & smelled good but I didn't have a date on the bottle so I tossed it.

I don't know Clint. I usually only make enough for the meal we are going to have. This is a recipe that I make with my 8 year old daughter, actually I let her make it while I'm watching, good times.

I don't know Clint. I usually only make enough for the meal we are going to have. This is a recipe that I make with my 8 year old daughter, actually I let her make it while I'm watching, good times.

that's a good way to go. last time I kept adding...... a little of this, a little of that, and before I knew it I had ~10oz extra so I put it in a jam jar & into the fridge. Thx again for the recipe - it's a good one.

Back