not getting alot of grill marks.. need help

AZaki

hello,

Ive been having difficulty get cross grill marks. I've attached some pictures and would love your feedback on how I can correct it.

I have a weber spirit 210.

I used a prime rib grilling steak and I left it out of the fridge for 30 mins. I put some olive oil, salt and pepper. I left the grill to heat up for around 11 mins, it got to 525 degrees (both burners on high). Once I put the steak on the grill, i turned off the other burner. I put the steak on at 11 o'clock (pressed down) for 90 secs and switched to 1 o'clock for another 90 secs (in an attempt at getting the cross grill marks). I did the same on the other side. After that was done, I moved it to the other side of the grill to finish cooking off indirectly.

For some reason I see little to no grill marks at all. what am I doing wrong?

http://postimg.org/gallery/h8gntm6g/

thank you

Well, first off that steak looks outstanding. Maybe it's the olive oil? I've heard ideally the surface of steaks should be dry before searing.

Also, amazingribs.com makes an argument against grill marks. I'm not a big fan of too much char myself, but I want the marks to be there. I think you did everything right except maybe the olive oil.

Oil will dissipate the heat some but I doubt it will really give that much problem. Personally, I don't care about cross hatched grill marks they require far more real estate than I think they are worth. I usually go dry as possible anyway, seasoning about five minutes prior to grilling.
Try dry and room temp, then try dry and cold. It goes against common thought but, the difference might get the marks you desire. I find as I get older the more I like the screaming fast crust which comes from thermonuclear heat and dry meat.

did you see this post?

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?66841-Grill-Press&p=739215&viewfull=1#post739215

IMG_4234_zpsoxsglscd.jpg

I get marks on my gasser, not the 22" kettle though, I don't think.

Sounds like you need to try another the same way without oil.....

Take a look at the thread that Clint posted and look at post #6. I haven't tried the grill grates yet but when I took Harry Soo's class, he recommended them for grill mark and showed us how to use them and the grill marks were fantastic. I personally prefer an overall crust but if you want grill marks then the grill grates would be a good way to get them. Good Luck!

I get good crust and sear marks using canola oil on steaks with kosher salt and cracked black pepper.

The steak has to be patted dry first if moist, then rubbed w/ the oil and seasoning on last....and the grill has to be f'in hot.

I got these using my WSM broken down to be a grill with the grate just inches above the coals
5-8-16-NY-steaks-after.jpg

My grill marks setup is:
1) pa dry very well.
2) oil the surface a little then season it.
3) grill grates pre heated
4) cast iron press
5) 90 sexonds x side

Thank you guys for the replies. I gave it another go. I padded it down and put salt and pepper with no olive oil. I also waited till it was at room temp. still not the marks I am looking for but its getting better. maybe the grates lose alot of heat and arent hot enough when I flip it around? I do hear it sizzle non stop though. Seems I will need the iron press.

http://postimg.org/gallery/1hrydlr4i/

Looking at my past pics mine have never been that great. I guess I was wrong about the oil. I usually put butter on mine. I've just always avoided the super black grill marks because I'm not a fan of a ton of char. It's too bitter for me.

Get some GrillGrates, they really do work very well. You will get very nice grill marks on your meats. You don't need to cover your whole grill surface, just 2 or 3 are a good start.

hello,

Ive been having difficulty get cross grill marks. I've attached some pictures and would love your feedback on how I can correct it.

I have a weber spirit 210.

I used a prime rib grilling steak and I left it out of the fridge for 30 mins. I put some olive oil, salt and pepper. I left the grill to heat up for around 11 mins, it got to 525 degrees (both burners on high). Once I put the steak on the grill, i turned off the other burner. I put the steak on at 11 o'clock (pressed down) for 90 secs and switched to 1 o'clock for another 90 secs (in an attempt at getting the cross grill marks). I did the same on the other side. After that was done, I moved it to the other side of the grill to finish cooking off indirectly.

For some reason I see little to no grill marks at all. what am I doing wrong?

http://postimg.org/gallery/h8gntm6g/

thank you

Pretty sure this is the cause of your problem:
"I put the steak on at 11 o'clock (pressed down) for 90 secs and switched to 1 o'clock for another 90 secs (in an attempt at getting the cross grill marks)."

90 seconds isn't going to give you nice grill marks unless your grill is at 1200 degrees or something like that. BTW, what kind of grates do you have ? Cast iron, stamped steel or steel rod ?

I'm a GrillGrate user, besides producing killer grate marks, you can also use them upside down and get a great sear or crust, and unlike cast iron, they require virtually no maintenance!! They would work great on your 2-burner and distribute the heat more efficiently. I use them on a Q220, Q300's and kettles with great results.

Leave all your burners on and when you flip move it over to the side you left on,then back to the other side when its time to flip again,the grids have to be hotter than the meat in order to leave marks,

My advice:

1. Pat your steaks dry before placing on grill (others have said this, but I think it is crucial).
2. Leave your steaks on the grill for at least 2 mins before rotating/flipping - maybe longer. The only way to know what works on your grill is to practice.
3. I know Meathead says different, but I usually oil the grates - not the meat. Just a quick squirt of Pam does the trick for me.
4. While not necessary, and upgrade to Grill Grates will majorly amp up your steak cross-hatch game.

I think that Mike and Tim are probably onto your situation.

Before putting the steak on - make sure that the grill with the grates is pre-heated.

I have heavy stainless rod-stock grates on my gasser, and I usually use simple Kosher Salt and coarse pepper on my steaks.
(I usually spray-down the grates or wipe them with Pam for grilling or vegetable oil on a paper towel.)
Slap your steak on and let it go for a while
I usually leave mine on HOT and then flip and rotate about every 2-1/2 minutes:
  • Start the Steaks on a HOT part of the grill
  • Flip to an area of the grates that had no meat on it previously, wait 2-1/2 minutes
  • Flip and rotate 90-degrees to previous marks, to an empty, hot spot - wait another 2.5 minutes
  • Repeat step above
  • After 8-10 minutes and 3 "flip/rotates"; they're usually done
  • Take them off the heat and let them rest for a few minutes before eating

As I read this thread, I'm wondering if he isn't letting the grill warm up enough? Or get hot enough. I always preheat at least 15 minutes, and leave all my burners on.
And, yes, I see that this is a thread from last spring!

I'm wondering if he isn't letting the grill warm up enough? Or get hot enough.

I wondered the same. I preheat the heck out of mine.

Cooks Illustrated has shown with pizza stones in ovens that the time spent preheating makes an incredible difference in how much the crust browns in the same amount of cook time.

You need to get those grill bars and surrounding material so hot that they stay hot when you lift the lid and slap a steak on them.

Each pizza was cooked for exactly 10 minutes.

Preheated 30 minutes

sketch_desktop_2x_SIL_HeatingPizzaStone_30Minutes_02_htc.jpg

Preheated 60 minutes

sketch_desktop_2x_SIL_HeatingPizzaStone_60Minutes_01_htc.jpg

Back