Cost of Competing

Nick Matthews

TVWBB Member
I was listening to The BBQ Central show and they were discussing the cost of doing a competition. Most of the answers given were between $1500 and $2000. I started figuring up my costs and I was only around $500 and $600 depending on the entry fee for a KCBS competition. I understand that just the type of brisket you cook can swing your total $200 but how much does everyone else spend on average to compete?

500-600 is about what we spend on a comp. That includes food and drink, entry, fuel, meat, rubs and sauces, charcoal and wood. This does not include things like tables, paper towels, cutting boards, wash tubs, etc...

It would be easy to spend a lot more but that's about average for us.

Over our nearly 10 years of competing, we have estimated that our average cost per contest is right at $1000. This includes meat, entry fees, travel, lodging, charcoal and all other types of contest supplies. It does not include start up costs like tables, chairs, canopies, smokers, etc. It also does not include the cost of lost income due to being away from work. This applies mostly to those who are self-employed or contract workers.

I'm an old-school competitor so I don't have any relevant numbers to share, but my observation was always that a big part of over-spending is cooking waaaay too much meat. Remember it all comes down to six portions in a box. After you're dialed in with your recipe and technique you should be able to do a standard KCBS comp with one butt, one brisket, 3 racks of ribs and a dozen pieces/portions of chicken. Cooking more than that in hopes of finding the 'perfect' servings is a case of severely diminished ROI.

I am also guilty of wasting too much charcoal over the years. Still working on that one.

We've only competed in a little over a dozen various comps, but $500-$600 should be a pretty good budget. We keep things very simple, so our costs are also pretty low, $400-$500 depending upon travel, and we've accumulated things that we've needed over the past 5 years, so no big out-of-pocket expenses for tables, knives, tubs, etc.

I think it really depends on where you compete. I think the teams around Kansas City spend about half of what we do in on the west coast. And I don't cook a lot of meat. The least I can spend is $850 with standard meats. The most would be $1500 unless you are talking about a plane ticket which I do as well. This does not include lost wages. I think Vince is about right for the west. Texas pays next to nothing to compete in regards to entry fees. I'm always jealous when I hear about pro entry fees of $150. That's almost unheard of here. It's also common to spend plenty of money on gucci meats which may be less the case elsewhere.

I've retired and have been thinking about cooking in 6 contests a year. I can afford $1k per contest but it's a lot more than I expected (or want) to spend and I'm surprised the number is so high. My experience on my wsm is that the ribs, chicken and pork shoulder from BJs/Sams produces just as good bbq as upscale butchers. I've judged over 20 kcbs contests so I think I have a feel for the quality of the stuff coming off my wsm vs. the competition. I've never purchased a prime brisket so I can't comment there. But I have read online that many people can't tell the difference in taste between prime, choice and select. And the best brisket I've had to date (including contests) has come from hill country restaurants in texas and I doubt they're using prime brisket.

So I was thinking:
shoulder/butt - $20
3 racks of ribs - $30
chicken thighs - $10
brisket - $30

plus entry fee and travel costs. I'd value everyone's feedback!

Dang, I was going to listen to that but I forgot :(
Nick we're in your ballpark if you figure entry, meat, fuel, supper Friday, breakfast Saturday, drinks etc.
If you add in the cost of a class, the toy hauler we use for comps, smokers etc. over a period of x number of years it about doubles the cost so maybe they are figuring that in as well?

Jeff- I would expect my meat prices to be higher than that, I am usually able to get all of my meats for about $150. Also I am fortunate that I had a camper and most of the supplies(tables, canopies etc.) before I got into competitions so I didn't have those expenses. I can get Prime briskets at Cosco here for the same price as choice or select grade so I think its a no brainer to go with the prime, but you may not have the same options. Also we usually run 4 WSM's because I feel its easier to manage the temp on 4 cookers than cook on bottom racks or be in and out of a smoker to much, but that also means we use up more charcoal/wood than would be necessary.

Thanks Nick! Our costco doesn't sell packers and brisket is pretty expensive here. I was thinking about using the kcbs membership at restaurant depot to see if that would lower my cost. I have a performer and a wsm, I'm thinking I'll find another wsm on craigslist and see how that works out.

Last edited:
Being VERY smalltime in my comps at the moment, I am going to be in one at the end of april. At the moment I figure we are into the entire thing for just under 500. Find its nice to spread out the costs over a couple of months. I have the 3 racks of ribs and the chicken already in the freezer. Will pick up the brisket probably the week of the comp. Always keep a couple bags of charcoal and wood on hand, that stuff just gets replenished on a normal basis anyway (though still included in that 500).

ALTHOUGH, i can easily see how the costs can go well over a thousand with the campers (fuel), bigger teams (more beer/food), lodgings (no need for it in this comp).

Very interesting discussion.
rb

We've probably averaged $900-$1000 for our contests but that includes things like Thermapen, tents, and other misc things you only buy once. I will say that the the list of those types of things keeps getting bigger and bigger each year! ;)

As long as you enjoy competing and can afford it, then the money is worth it. If you're not having fun then why do it?

Back