Weber 4000 Platinum

MarkMac

TVWBB Member
Weber Platinum

What was the difference between the regular Genesis model and the Platinum? I'm just finishing up the wood on my Red Genesis 1100 rehab and saw a post for a Weber Platinum basically free. It has the side burner and second flip table, but is there something else I'm missing?

I may go look to see if the side burner and frame look okay, as I could easily swap the FB and wood from my 1100 restore.

I have my new RCPlaneBuyer FB and Grates arriving today. Not sure if the platinum's were 5 or 13 FB either. But swapping the FB answers that.

Last edited:
Some of the plats were 13 bar and some 5 bar. If it's truly a platinum the frame will be different basically a Summit 450 frame (much stronger) with a Genesis grill head mounted in it. The side tables sit up higher too. Look though the posts here I'm sure someone must have photos of it. The actual grill head though is the same as whatever current generation it was produced in. Basically if 13 bar units were in production they were 13 bar (actually 12 because IIRC they came with a smoker box). The smoker eliminated one bar and part of a grate on the 13 bar models. Not sure about the 5 bar though

Mark,
Does it look like this?

This is a Platinum Series 1. This is just an extended version of your 1100 with the same 1" square tubed frame so you will be able to use your Flavorizer Bars and Burner tubes. All Platinum 1's used the deeper firebox with 13 flavorizer bars or 12 with the smoker box like LMichaels stated. Actually you should be able to use everything off your 1100 as most parts interchange from these models.

For reference this is the Platinum Series II:

The Platinum Series II came with the wider 2 1/2" Heavy Duty Summit frame. It never came with wood tables but two porcelain shelves or one porcelain shelf and a huge side burner. All the innards are the same as the Genesis/Platinum 1 but the knobs, shelf, sideburner, handle, and casters are all specific to the II.

Hope this helps. Do post some pictures when you pick it up.

Jeff

Last edited:
So what was the "point" of the Platinum I. It's basically a Genesis 3000 or III. I don't see the point

So what was the "point" of the Platinum I. It's basically a Genesis 3000 or III. I don't see the point

Weber seems to do this quite often...
The Skyline was the same as the Genesis, the Platinum 1 was the same as the Genesis, the Genesis 3/4/5 is the same as the model 3000/4000/5000 with the exception of the small casters.

Makes for confusion at times.

Jeff

Well the Skyline was a Sears exclusive having to do with Sears corporate headquarters being the tallest building in the world (at the time) though still is IMO because the tower in Dubai IMO cheated by using spires that are not part of the building to achieve this. Using that method Sears (Willis) Tower would still win if you included the antennas on top. True Chicagoans BTW still call it Sears Tower

Mark,
Does it look like this?

This is a Platinum Series 1. This is just an extended version of your 1100 with the same 1" square tubed frame so you will be able to use your Flavorizer Bars and Burner tubes. All Platinum 1's used the deeper firebox with 13 flavorizer bars or 12 with the smoker box like LMichaels stated. Actually you should be able to use everything off your 1100 as most parts interchange from these models.

That's the one, but your pic is in much better shape. It showed up this mornings on CL for $20. Looked worth $20 for sure. I asked for location to see it, but then saw a second listing at 1pm saying 'free' but needed to be picked up by 2pm. Just missed it.

I was hoping to grab it and swap frames to gain the burner and extra table.

I'll update my rehab thread later this week. Received my RCplanebuyer FB and grates today. Everything's painted and ready to go, just need to install the wood on brackets and mount them.

Back