Frame Repair for Weber Grills

Jeff MA

TVWBB All-Star
I see quite a bit of posts about older Weber Genesis/Spirit/Summit frames where the frame is starting to rust in areas and people fix them by either using a threaded rod through the entire section or have even used wood to make the frame sturdy again. Sometimes the frame piece is solid but the nut inside the frame has rusted away to powder.

When I was doing the restore on my 1998 Spirit 700 I ran into the same issue and had a co-worker weld mine back together as Weber has discontinued most of the frame pieces for older Weber grills.

My Genesis 4900 has the same rust area on the lower frame support and I was thinking of a solution and came up with this:

My Auto Parts store sells 1"16 gauge square tubing in 4' lengths, with the 1" square threaded tubing inserts you can cut the square tubing to any size desired and be back in the game in no time.

Here is the 1" tubing and inserts:

PHq8dZx.jpg

I bought my threaded tubing inserts from this gentleman-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Threaded-Tu...439883?hash=item4651b3aacb:g:dXkAAOSwAvJXAo2E

and they arrived in several days with good communication so I can recommend him highly.

Hopefully this will help those with frame corrosion issues make their Weber rock solid again.

Jeff

Last edited:
I would like to say that I joined this site literally yesterday and this blog saved a conundrum that kept me awake all night. I found the same tube inserts and the restore project is back on schedule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad my post helped keep your Weber alive and made those sleepless nights a thing of the past ;)

Happy New Year to everyone!

Jeff

Back